Council Tax Band Appeal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have just bought my first property and have been investigating the council tax rates and came across the following information on one of the council sites which states:

" You may appeal about your banding if -you believe that your property's value has altered enough to merit an alteration in band, e.g. as a result of a change in the physical state of the area or the demolition/conversion of part of the property. "

http://www.tauntondeane.gov.uk/tdbcsites/ctax/council_tax_bands.asp

I wondered - considering everyones property prices have has a decline recently, would it be worth a go!?

NB: I line in Swindon not Taunton - but essentially you are able to appeal in whatever area of course.

Thanks Chris

Sponsored Links
:rolleyes:

no, it quite clearly states a reduction in value due to the physical condition of the property or surrounding area..

if you live alone you can get a 25% discount..

Thanks for your response and second opinion.

Though i would argue that; it does say e.g not i.e.
e.g being an example of many...

cheers

It also quite clearly states:

Please remember that all council tax valuations are based on April 1991 values; general changes in the level of house prices since then are not grounds for appeal.

Sponsored Links
Deffo follow the moneysaving website guide.

That shows the sites to check your neighbours banding & what yours should be.

Remember that you have 6 months from purchasing it to do this,it gets harder to do afterwards.

Although I have recently written to the valuations office about my house being in band B when most of my neighbours are in A so I'm looking at a rebanding down too :D

I did this with a house a few years ago in Dereham Norfolk.
guess what - I lost !

the valuations they presented were 3 house that had sold locally for more than they were worth and refused to accept 20 houses in the road and the adjoining road.

Deffo follow the moneysaving website guide.

Although I have recently written to the valuations office about my house being in band B when most of my neighbours are in A so I'm looking at a rebanding down too :D

i live in a 1907 typical 3 bed terrace 13ft wide by 50 ft deep on 2 levels guess what band i am in as i live in surrey :D :D

What most people don't realise:
The council do not decide the level of your council tax; the valuation office do.
If you write with a request for deduction to the council, they usually write back and tell you they had a look at it and can not reduce it, conveniently forgetting to mention that that is not because it is correct, but because they don't have the power to do so.

Council tax does not depend on current value, but on the value on the valuation date.

For those of you who pay business rates: a large percentage of commercial properties are over rated and can get substantial reductions if reviewed correctly.

Sponsored Links
Back