Council Tax Band Challenge

You can find the band of a property using the address quite easily. Can you find any other properties similar to yours in the same area that are Band A? Ignore any Bs or C's for obvious reasons.

Yes I've done that and the vast majority (around 90%) are the same band with the odd random exception for reasons unknown.

I was asked on the phone to give examples like this but I don't understand the point of the comparison -- the other houses could be in the wrong band. If my house and others like it were selling for band A prices in 1991 then to me, they should be reclassified. The only evidence they should take into account is their actual 'proven' value from house sale data.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Yes I've done that and the vast majority (around 90%) are the same band with the odd random exception for reasons unknown.

I was asked on the phone to give examples like this but I don't understand the point of the comparison -- the other houses could be in the wrong band. If my house and others like it were selling for band A prices in 1991 then to me, they should be reclassified. The only evidence they should take into account is their actual 'proven' value from house sale data.
It's too hard to find that data, so councils take a shortcut and assume that most places are correct, so making yours consistent would make them happy.

If you think that your place, and most others, were worth less then you've got a lot of leg work in front of you. Good luck

Back