Taylor Wimpey to buy or not to buy that is thy question

moved to my detached nearly 2 years ago and its BY FAR the best thing about the property and its a lovely property

I have NEVER heard my neighbours except in the garden and sometimes weeks go by when i dont see them....PERFECT well worth the premium you have to pay to get one
Totally agree - Years ago I said to my Mrs. When we get old we`re going to live in a Mobile Home on a park site if we get a young family in next to us ( in our semi) Ended up in a 3 bed detached bungalow - just got lucky, and she was a grafter ( me , I`m just an old P**ey :mrgreen: ) Seriously tho ` you get less noise if the houses are not " handed" the living room in one is next to the hall in the next :idea:

Sponsored Links
As long as you dont mind plasterboard walls you can hang nothing from,push fit plumbing which leaks , uneven concrete floors because the've rushed it for the deadline ,splattered magnolia walls , kitchen cupboards which are wonky then yeah new builds are great :)

:LOL: :LOL: Time to stay were we are me thinks :cool:

As long as you dont mind plasterboard walls you can hang nothing from,push fit plumbing which leaks , uneven concrete floors because the've rushed it for the deadline ,splattered magnolia walls , kitchen cupboards which are wonky then yeah new builds are great :)
Aye this can happen, you can be unlucky. But hey older houses are great too, why not look at the hundreds of thousahds of threads on the Forum to see how good! ;)

Sponsored Links
Aye this can happen, you can be unlucky. But hey older houses are great too, why not look at the hundreds of thousahds of threads on the Forum to see how good! ;)

:LOL: :LOL: Very good ;)

I live in a semi where all the walls are of solid brick...great for noise ..but my sister is in a new build semi and you can hear every noise from next door and when a young couple moved in she had to move into the small room away from the adjoing bedroom with the neighbours..if you get my drift :eek: anyhow she is looking to move now

This is a how long is a piece of string question.

It's all about build quality, age is only semi important.

Old buildings, and by old I mean <1930s tend to use overly thick solid walls, now this can be good for sound proofing, but also bad.

Modern building methods require a separate party wall (an actual air space) between the two adjoining properties, as well as mass to block sound. The mass blocks/subdues it, the air space makes it more difficult to bridge and spreads the sound.

Old houses don't have party walls with air spaces, but do just have a heck of a lot more mass, this does mean however any "break" in the wall makes them very prone to transmit sound

For instance a poorly fitted joist spanning through the wall, I had this issue with an old property with solid walls, at the part of the wall it spanned through, you could hear sound bleed, footsteps or voices etc, luckily the part of the wall in question was opposite corridors on both sides and not living spaces, so there wasn't much sound to pass through.

Modern building regs do have acoustic requirements, and there are design principles to easily meet them, very basically you should not be able to hear people speaking VERY loudly (just under a shout).

The problem is that it's easy to cut corners and bugger up the acoustic details, and it's something to easy to get away with.

If you are really worried about it, go along with a friend and have them go into the adjoining property (I assume it's a new build estate, so there are plenty of empty houses?), get them to shout or bring along a getto blaster:cool:.

You can also look up "robust details" on google, that has some handy acoustic details.

This is a how long is a piece of string question.

It's all about build quality, age is only semi important.

Old buildings, and by old I mean <1930s tend to use overly thick solid walls, now this can be good for sound proofing, but also bad.

Modern building methods require a separate party wall (an actual air space) between the two adjoining properties, as well as mass to block sound. The mass blocks/subdues it, the air space makes it more difficult to bridge and spreads the sound.

Old houses don't have party walls with air spaces, but do just have a heck of a lot more mass, this does mean however any "break" in the wall makes them very prone to transmit sound

For instance a poorly fitted joist spanning through the wall, I had this issue with an old property with solid walls, at the part of the wall it spanned through, you could hear sound bleed, footsteps or voices etc, luckily the part of the wall in question was opposite corridors on both sides and not living spaces, so there wasn't much sound to pass through.

Modern building regs do have acoustic requirements, and there are design principles to easily meet them, very basically you should not be able to hear people speaking VERY loudly (just under a shout).

The problem is that it's easy to cut corners and b*****r up the acoustic details, and it's something to easy to get away with.

If you are really worried about it, go along with a friend and have them go into the adjoining property (I assume it's a new build estate, so there are plenty of empty houses?), get them to shout or bring along a getto blaster:cool:.

You can also look up "robust details" on google, that has some handy acoustic details.

Great post thanks alot for your time our first option is to go tomorrow and see if they have offered us a good part ex price on a detached property there, if this fails after a convo to a rep at another new estate said we could do sound tests like what you said when the next builds are done ;)

Lets see how tomorrow pans out :D

Thanks again

Sponsored Links
Back