Council tax valuation.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. Just a general question as I'm thinking of applying for a revaluation on my mothers bungalow.

My mother lives in a road with over 200 2-story houses. However, there is one block of 8 semi-detached bungalows of which she owns one. They are all the same from the outside and were built all the same as 3 bedroom bungalows. Checking the valuation ratings, 7 of them are in band D of which she is one. One other is in band E. presumably that is because it has been converted to a 4 bedroom - looking on Google earth, there is a dormer on the roof at the rear.

My mothers bungalow, which she moved into in 2009 is a two bedroom - a bedroom had been sacrificed to give it a larger kitchen/diner. That's how it was when she moved in and I get the impression it was done just before then (house was empty and bought as a repossession from a building society so unable to get any info from previous tenants).

In my opinion, a two bedroom bungalow is worth less than any of the adjoining three bedroom ones so my question is, should that be grounds enough for a lowering of the council band valuation?

Sponsored Links
Surely the plot is the same as the others and what someone did as an "enhancement" shouldn't reduce the value and hence the council tax banding?

Possibly, but then the plot is the same for the one that's had an extra bedroom and that has gone up a band.

I've read stories about those who challenge the council over their bands and all it did was raise the band of their homes, or the whole street! Not the outcome wanted..

Sponsored Links
Don't think so in this case - if that were to apply, the other 7 of them would be in band D like the 4 bedroom one.

you can try in the same way the other people in the block can claim for a reduction as they have only one sitting room or theres is half the size
how you use the space may or may not be rellivant
it off course is no more than my opinion :rolleyes:

Consider she's paying the council with their own money does it matter that much?

Possibly, but then the plot is the same for the one that's had an extra bedroom and that has gone up a band.
That one has been "extended", your mum's has just been converted. I challenged my rating years ago, I was in band F when all the other similar houses were E. I have 2 garages , the others have one. Can't remember what argument I used but I got away with it. There was one other on F , I told him and he got his downrated as well.

Hawk must be assuming your Ma gets CTS.

I'm not sure exactly what criteria are used to "band" a house. I know that the rateable value was used in assessing rates before CT was introduced and then the value of the house in 1991 was used to work out the banding.

My Mum's place is Band D and mine is Band E, but her house value in 1991 was much higher than mine. Work that out??!

You have a limited time to get your valuation reassessed after moving into a property (6months I think).
I was not happy with the band my property was in & I called them about a year after I had purchased, they listen & were helpful, they advised me to write (they were happy with an email). About 18months on, they said they considered my bnd was correct but increased my neighbours.
There were no similar properties so it was difficult comparing, ie there was a grade 2 listed, a bungalow, 2 very small cottages, 5 bedroom property.
So it is quite an easy process if you have a good case.

Have had dealings with the https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/valuation-office-agency re possible increase of council tax valuation when a property has been altered.

There idea is if the foot print of a property has altered then they will consider a change of council tax.

Adding extra rooms any type of room to an existing property or reducing any type of rooms does not qualify for a council tax alteration.

Been there done it.

Sponsored Links
Back