Coupling toilet float valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My really old downstairs toilet (mains water pressure) was constantly overflowing so much so it over-whelmed the overflow.

After turning the water off (no isolators) I opened it up and the float valve was the old part 1, ball float in poor condition and appeared the valve leaked. As the valve was pretty corroded rather than dismantle the thing, washers perished, etc I thought it would be easier to just replace valve with a part 2 valve and new ball . It was simple to replace, and no leaks.

My only query was the copper pipe was originally coupled with a nut but did not look like a normal compression unit with olive. It looks to be a seal (maybe rubber) at the end of 15mm pipe and tightening the nut to the float valve thread pulls / joins the pipe to the valve and seals the unit. I put some PFTE tape in there on both threads and turned spanner until tight but I wasn't sure how this seal would work or fail!

As I have not seen this type of fitting discussed I just wondered whether it got replaced - e.g. it is rubber and at some point will fail!

Thanks

Ashley.

Sponsored Links
Post a pic if you like, but it sounds like you've just discovered a conventional tap connector......the washer in which is usually fibre.
Both connection methods work perfectly well.
John :)

Post a pic if you like, but it sounds like you've just discovered a conventional tap connector......the washer in which is usually fibre.
Both connection methods work perfectly well.

Cheers. It looks like a solder ring tap connector. Should I renew any washers? (I just reassembled and put some ptfe in there)

Sponsored Links
Its always best to renew the washer, and maybe keep a spare or two......but if its not leaking just keep an eye on it for a while.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back