covering asbestos garage roof (white)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi wonder if anyone can help have been getting quotes in for a new roof but way over our budget just moved in. 1500 quoted today could buy a new garage for that!!!can we cover with bitumen wickes sell it only concern is how to fix it to asbestos as dont want to remove it it looks a mess at the moment although solid someone also suggested painting the roof with bitumen paint or some type of rubber type paint?? not a clue but any options ideas would be a great help
thanks very much
sandy

Sponsored Links
Do a google for " Onduline " - this is a system for covering asbestos sheet roofing with a new roof. I don't know about costs, but the principle can be copied

I am not sure, but I can't see bitumen lasting long on a sheet that is aged and friable - what is wrong with the existing roof?

You can get pretty decent paint-on solutions. The bitumen based ones aren't generally so good. I woul recommend either Flexacryl or Acrypol, they are very similar products, which when dried form an almost rubber coating. They have fibreglass strands in them which fill any holes in the roof. If you serach on google, you'll find loads of information.

Cost is about £35-40/5ltr tin, which will cover roughly 3.5m2.

The company who makes onduline (Ariel - i think) do an over sheeting system as woody said, but I cant see this costing much less than a new Fibre Cement roof.

If you cover it with a system like Onduline, then you save on potential expensive asbestos removal costs, so the re-roofing is the same cost, but a nett saving overall. But you would have to do the sums.

Whilst Acrypol is good, if the sheets are not so good, then it may not adhere well. Like most things, it is the condition of the substrate which makes all the difference.

To get a good grip on the sheets, may require some preparation and cleaning/rubbing - which you may not want to do bearing in mind the possible fibre release

Sponsored Links
thanks guys for the replies will do some googling we had another roofer come today said it would be difficult to cover low pitch? so advised to either strip it and start again or leave it it isnt leaking its just looking very tatty and worn he said you can get roof paint advised to prime first not sure what with will have to have a think wanted a quick cure nothing is ever as simple as you think maybe i will win the lotto tonight!!!
had a look at the onduline sheet roofing may sound a stupid question if laying over the top of the asbestos roof how do you get it to adhere there just seems to be nails but surely shouldnt be disturbing the asbestos??? by banging nails in sorry for all the questions want to do the right thing but certainly am not paying 1500 pound for a new roof!!

sandy149 said:
thanks guys for the replies will do some googling we had another roofer come today said it would be difficult to cover low pitch? so advised to either strip it and start again or leave it it isnt leaking its just looking very tatty and worn he said you can get roof paint advised to prime first not sure what with will have to have a think wanted a quick cure nothing is ever as simple as you think maybe i will win the lotto tonight!!!
had a look at the onduline sheet roofing may sound a stupid question if laying over the top of the asbestos roof how do you get it to adhere there just seems to be nails but surely shouldnt be disturbing the asbestos??? by banging nails in sorry for all the questions want to do the right thing but certainly am not paying 1500 pound for a new roof!!

Is the asb. held down with bolts? These can be used to fix the bitumen sheets down.

Remove bolts, lay the new sheets on top and line them up, then use the bolt holes in the asbestos to mark the bitumen from beneath. This will tell you where to drill. Only do one or 2 sheets at a time otherwise you'll end up having to jiggle the whole roof back into place.

If it were me though, I'd want to get rid of the asbestos stuff permanently.

Tip: Do not walk on the existing roof, lay down a couple of scaffold boards or thick sheet of ply to support your weight.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back