Covering over a internal gas pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a attatched garage with a gas pipe running along the wall (from a external metre) at 1 mtre high ,and I would like to convert the garage into a study room and need to plasterboard the walls , Can I lat the walls with 2x2 and then plasterboard over the gas pipe to hide it ? and what are the inplications of doing this , ie is it lawfull?

Sponsored Links
if it is classed as a partition wall then i would say no as a gas pipe has to pass "through" a partition wall via the shortest route

Actually you can run it in a partition wall if you put a batten either side of the pipe to form a duct and vent either end.

you can dry line the wall as long as the gas pipe is completely encased in the plasterboard adhesive.

Sponsored Links
The OP is building a stud wall. Not dry lining it.

He didn't specify that. I think he was suggesting what he might have thought would be acceptable. If I was converting my garage to a study dry lining it would be far cheaper and less intensive. I was just chucking him the options.

Thanks for replys , what I ment to say was that the garage walls will be dry lined with 2x2 then plasterboars will be nailed to the battons,so the gas pipe will be behind the plaster board, no adhesive is being used.

Brian

Then disregard my comments. :D Up where we live mole it's more known as dot and dab than dry lining.

Gaspipe that is hidden in a wall has to run in a duct. Protecting it against some dumbo with hammer and nails to hang things on the wall would not be a bad idea either.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back