Moving a GAS Pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Without wanting to open a can of worms I need some advice. :D

I'm currently in the throws of converting my garage to an office space and I have a GAS pipe that's in an inconvenient place. It runs from the meter (in an external box) through the wall into the garage along the garage wall for a couple of meters and then back through the wall into the main house (under the floor). because of this pipe I will need to batten out the wall to hide the pipe in the new room, so i'm considering having it re-routed.

To save some money can I do most of the work, removing floorboards, installing new pipe following an alternative route etc, and then have a Gas Safe engineer do the connection at each end and test? The start and finish points of the new route will be the same as the old one.

Can anybody give me some idea of cost?

Thanks

Ray

Sponsored Links
It will probably be quite cheap as only a cowboy will be willing to sign his name under a gaspipe job done by an amateur.

What you are proposing isn't illegal, just the problem is you will find it difficult to find an rgi to sign it off, although in these times probably not impossible. The trouble is that he becomes legaly responsible for the installation and personally if i am taking the wrap then i would want all the payment not some of it......but hey you can call around a few guys and see if someone is willing.......

just an example,an rgi turns up to a house to commision new gas pipe,when tested all was ok because the non soldered joint the house owner had forgot to solder or was his first time soldering, and it didnt quite cappilary properly but the flux is holding things back.later on fails.then the small ammount he got paid for the job doesnt seem to be worth the hassel of the police at your door.like i said an example, but a point of why most rgis will only sign off there own work.end of the day its our signiture, its our head on the block.

Sponsored Links
so long as the main coming into the meter isn't being touched then i can't see why you would have too much difficulty in getting someone to connect / test the new pipe so long as all joints are left visible for inspection.
we do this fairly regularly and charge a half day rate irrespective of pipe length / amount of fittings used
we would advise you on pipe diameters required and come back when all in place to do final connections
both visits included in 1/2 day rate of £115 + materials we use (£15 - £25 usually) we cover hants and dorset adding £25 for anything involving more than 40 miles distance travel.

Whilst Kevin may be willing to inspect a DIYers soldered joints, I would not!

I would require the DIYer to fit the pipe but leave the joints for me to solder and make the final connections.

Where the pipe passes through the wall it has to be sleeved in the appropriate way.

If there were say 4-5 joints and could be all done on just one visit then I would expect to charge about £84 in our local area.

Tony

Thanks for you help and advise.

If I decide to move the pipe I think I'll ring a few rgi's and see if they will do the job.

Looks like the best way to go is do all the prep and lay the new pipe but leave all the joints to the professional. I'm not new to DIY and know how to solder a joint correctly but if I were the registered person I would want to make the joints myself.

I may just box the pipe in.... it would be eaiser :D

Thanks again.

I am happy to allow a DIYer to do everything that is permissable.

However, I will not get involved in approving anything which must be done by a gas registered engineer.

Tony

Thanks Tony but as I'm in Nottingham your a bit far away.

Out of interest would you be happy with what I'm proposing?

Cheers

Ray

Was asked only today to connect and pass off an LPG supply, whilst on site commissioning an oil fired boiler, curiosity got the better of me, had
a quick look, pipe not sleeved through wall, buried into concrete floor with no protection etc etc etc...WALKED AWAY

10 foot and barge pole came to mind

the Bloody oil tank didn't comply either! :evil:

Let's face it, if they really knew what they were doing, they would be RGI's themselves.

Without wanting to open a can of worms I need some advice. :D

Too late.

To save some money can I do most of the work, removing floorboards, installing new pipe following an alternative route etc, and then have a Gas Safe engineer do the connection at each end and test? The start and finish points of the new route will be the same as the old one.

Do it yourself if you feel you can but remember that the gas meter must be removed before soldering any gas pipe, the installation must be tested for tightness (no leaks) before you start. And tested again after you have finished. The pipework must be purged afterwards. If you can get a fitter to test it and put his name to it afterwards then do it. Where`s Mod 10 tonite? aka Texas Kev? Surely this is a question for the Combustion Chamber?

Dear, oh dear drivel, even you should know better than to advise people to install their own gaspipe.
Suggesting that this is a question for the CC shows once again your ignorance; RGI's are aware that installing your own gaspipe is not a good idea :rolleyes:

Dear, oh dear drivel, even you should know better than to advise people to install their own gaspipe.

just a member of public offering an opinion, if you really believe my views have no credibility and I am not a gas fitter then why should it be considered advice?

Suggesting that this is a question for the CC shows once again your ignorance;

It`s called sarcasm...... look it up.

RGI's are aware that installing your own gaspipe is not a good idea :roll

Like you, most spout Regs, fit rarely, closest you get too getting hands dirty is taking cover of boiler or when you last fell over.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back