Covering under floor heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All
I'd appreciate some thoughts on the following;

New bathroom almost finished being installed by a third party. It looks fantastic, I've done a few bathrooms myself and I have to say the quality of the tiling and what not is very high indeed.

Anyway, we have had under floor heating installed in the room and it is covered by floor tiles, except under the bath. E.g. the heating runs under the bath and is effectively not covered with anything.

Is this a problem, everything I've read says cover it, but not why. I can imagine in a normal room it has to be covered so that it doesn't get damaged, although this area will not be susceptible to damage as it will have no traffic or access at all really. So is there another reason? Hotspots causing fatigue of the wires that are not covered by tiles or something like that?
Anyone got any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
Richard

Sponsored Links
Under-bath heating, eh?

Was an electrician involved from the outset? Has he certified the installation as compliant with BS 7671? And was he aware of the requirements of section 753? (If you haven't had an electrician involved pre-laying, you might find it difficult to get one to commission it after the fact.)

And, most importantly, what do the manufacturer's instructions say about part of the mat radiating heat directly to air?

Thanks dingbat
I know a spark (who is part p certified etc) is involved start to finish.
I don't however know about the rest and can't see anything about part of the mat radiating heat directly to air anywhere.
I agree this is the key bit really.

Electrical issues aside, it is not normal to place UFH under baths ( or kitchen cupboards ) .

Was this because of mat size that couldn't be cut or something ?

Sponsored Links
I agree mointainwalker. I suspect it was because it was slightly too big and it was easier to lay it out than anything else.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back