Coving Dropped Ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Fitting coving to the living room and I've noticed that the ceiling across the chimney breast has a fairly noticable drop. Over the span from right to left it's around 20mm. Normally I'd just fit the coving and allow it to follow the ceiling dip. In this case there is a big old mirror which will be quite close to the coving which will really accentuate the drop.

a) Would anyone bother worring about it?
b) Is there anything I can do about it?

Thanks guys!

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    566.9 KB · Views: 256
Sponsored Links
That is a big deviation. Is the ceiling lath and plaster, or boarded? Is the deviation caused by uneven joists, or by sagging?

I probably wouldn't fit coving to that room if I could get away with it. If you try to 'split the difference' and whack 1cm more adhesive behind the left hand side it will never look right, similarly if you fit it plumb and fill the top on the left hand side. There are some visual tricks you can sometimes do like shaving a chamfer off the ceiling plaster on the low end, but not with such a big drop.

Other option is to fit it flush to the ceiling and buy a circular mirror!

It's plasterboard. The house settled back in the 70s and hasn't moved since. It's just a wonky ceiling...

Unless the mirror is tight up against the coving, i doubt you'll notice it. Whilst it might be 20mm out end to end, its only 10mm out at either end from the centre point and probably 5-6mm out from the centre point at either end of the mirror.

Sponsored Links
Why not temporarily stick a piece of coloured card to the wall exactly where the coving would go, and see how bad the deviation is, and see if you can live with it.

I've done one better. I had some spare coving so I double sided taped it in place to see.if it's gonna bug me. It doesn't. If you stand and stare, you can make out the wonk, but if you don't it's not noticeable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back