Cowboy plasterer - My ceiling just collapsed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My house has artex ceiling which I hate. Therefore I called around a plasterer to get this smooth..

When the plasterer came around he said that he would simple apply bonding, then skim the ceiling to a smooth finish.

I suggested that he reboard the ceiling and then skim, however he was adamant that skimming would be fine 'as he does this all the time'.

Well less than 24hrs later the entire ceiling collapsed (with my elderly mother in the room)

I immediately called the plasterer and he tried to sherk responsibility.. then begrudgingly stated that he will come around later to inspect the ceiling

I found this guy on a website like check-a-trade and I paid him via cash (never again)

I would like to cover all my bases, so I would like advice on what I should do in this situation?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Been there before it's no fun seeing your money on the floor. But in the plasterers defence It looks as though you have had artex on top of lining paper. The plasterer could not have seen that.

I would hope that he will re-plaster the ceiling at his cost and you will be happy with that.

Was the now collapsed ceiling Plasterboard or Older Lath and Plaster?

Not the plasterers fault. You were going to pay him to overboard it, so give him the money you were going to have to pay out and he can reskim it. (now the artex has gone). BTW what did he charge you?

Sponsored Links
looks to me from your pics,that the actual ceiling is still there?.
whats been lost is the overboarding and artex?
looks like lining paper then boards then artex then the new bonding and skim??

what i think is,as the spread has worked his magic its become nail shot and sheer weight after its dried has bought down what you see.
as others have said would think its had to prove its the spreads fault,perhaps a compromise could well be in order?

hope your mums ok.

You only have to look at the thread title to see who's fault the OP thinks it is. I doubt he'll be back.

But in the plasterers defence It looks as though you have had artex on top of lining paper. The plasterer could not have seen that.

I would hope that he will re-plaster the ceiling at his cost and you will be happy with that.
He said the same thing and now that the dust has settled, I'm seeing things from his perspective

Interestingly, when I asked whether my kitchen and bedroom ceilings could collapse too.. the plasterer said 'No' because he checked underneath and their was no paper

Nevertheless, he has agreed to come and plaster my ceiling at no extra cost, so that is a positive result..

Thanks for your help!
Was the now collapsed ceiling Plasterboard or Older Lath and Plaster?
I believe that it is plasterboard, however I am not 100% certain.

hope your mums ok.
Thanks for the kind words..

She is a little shaken up, but I think that she'll live :)

Why do you expect him to do it for nothing when you agree it wasn't his fault?

I would say that's lining paper with artex over it. The plasterer has then skimmed the ceiling with bonding and finishing. The moisture from the plaster has then penetrated through the artex/lining paper, causing it come away from the ceiling, taking the artex/plaster with it. It's always worth a close inspection of artex before skimming over it, and always look to see if you can see any joints showing through from any ceiling paper that might be underneath. Plaster over artex, painted surfaces, or any other surface, only if you are 100% certain that it is attached to the substrate underneath. Preparation is always the most important thing when plastering.

I think its just a huge chunk of bad luck (no pun) both for you and the plasterer....maybe he should have checked a bit closer, who knows?
Anyway, we've all been there to some degree, and its very noble of him to do it again for nowt......I'd be paying him again though, and if he wasn't keen he'd get a good drink out of it!
John :)

i too agree that the best course of action is to at least give the guy a good drink for his trouble
top bloke for agreeing to redo the job at his own expense,but dont take the rise out of him.
sounds like he is a top tradesman and once youve got 1 keep him,and tell your friends.

Update:

I'm glad to say that everything has been sorted now. The plaster was apologetic and he's done a fine job with the ceiling

I offered him some cash and a drink, but he refused. Nice chap and will definitely use again (assuming the other rooms don't collapse:)

Finally, thanks for your help and advice guys.. You're always brilliant!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back