CP12 and tightness testing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was just in for my 1st day of CCN1 today and few things the trainer said contradicted what my gaffer has told me and done in the past.

Namely the topic title, The trainer said this is mandatory and how could you issue a safety cert without carrying out a TT.

So all these CP12's my boss has done he's left himself open for problems if things go tits up then

Sponsored Links
Then your trainer is wrong, TT is not mandatory on cp12s, why not apply for access to the combustion chamber?

I've no gas safe number or I would be joining.

So the trainer is wrong, he was adamant too, I said that we very seldom carry out tightness test then he went off on one.

Personally I always do a TT but isin't mandatory, ask your trainer where its written down and ask to see it. ;)

Sponsored Links
Wait until the trainer passes you before you tell him hes full of ****!

Not mandatory but best practice i always do a tightness test on a cp12.
Alot of trainers i have met make their own rules up i find

Tell him the sun shines out of his backside...............when you pass mention the fact most assessors are failed gas men who can't think for themselves. :p

As they say, "if you cannot do it yourself, then just teach it!"

I'm finding working pressure to be a good earner this week. :mrgreen:

There's mandatory and there's recommended ;).

Gas Safe are wonderfully vague. As you will discover when you enter the CC.

One of the biggest problems in our trade people with access to every rule and reg book and who are meant to train people what is correct and not hearsay or the because i have always done it so it must be right way.
Cant get simple stuff correct or take the time to look it up and prove themselves right.
It is a true saying those that can do , those that cant teach

Firstly it's no longer called a CP12!!

Of course anyone worth their salt is going to do a TT on anything they work on. C'mon it's common sense, you're checking the gas system FFS.

That's the problem with course Cowboys, with no trade experience, it's little wonder the trade is f.cked!

Don't worry about the Combustion Chamber Pot mate, it's seldom an enlightening experience. More ar.e licking goes on in there than at a gay orgy.

Richard its not a case of what you would do it is a case of being taught what is correct.
What if it was other way around and you were meant to do a test and this instructor was telling the boy not to.
That is what they are there for they are doing this day in day out with every bit of information at their disposal

Its not the course cowboys at fault, its the training colleges. They just wan't bodies through the door so they keep the grants coming in, and if someone learns something by chance its a bonus.

Last man is to blame!!

OK, so you do a Landlord Safety Check & sign the property off as safe. Then the whole lot blows up taking out two adjoining houses & kills 4 people. Your going to stand in the Dock & tell the court, "It's not required under the regs".

C7322_421621_00_PP_515Wx515H

Question to the OP !

Can the clip above meet the regulations if used on a gas pipe?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back