cpc on lighting circuits

I genuinely don’t know. I’ve found examples of 3 different manufacturers all selling BC lamp holders marked as being class II, and I’ve seen it on others out in the field as well.
I don't know, eiether. That's why I wondered whether what eric had seen was just a 'rare error' and therefore asked if anyone else had seen similar. You have.
They can’t all be wrong can they?
I don't think it would be the first time such had happened!
What makes something class II? ...
Exactly - that is the $64,000 question.
... Is it that in the event of failure of basic insulation the equipment remains safe to touch and will not become energised, rather than the parts which are designed to be live and it is normal and expected for them to be so can not be accessed?
Who knows?! However, it seems a bit daft to require additional protection for live parts that have 'basic insulation' but not for those which do not have any insulation at all! Also, no-one has yet mentioned that, if one forgets the ('designed to be live') contacts, whilst the part with the terminals may be 'Class II' (by virtue of 'reinforced insulation') 'as sold', the part of the product protecting a user from contact with those live terminals can be unscrewed 'without the use of a tool'.

All these discussions bring me back to the same question, which I have posed so often - if a product does not have 'double or reinforced insulation' (hence can't be Class II) and also doesn't have any exposed-c-ps which could be earthed (hence can't be Class I) then "what is it?" - maybe 'not allowed', or what?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back