no earth in lighting circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
I suppose the most obvious reason is in case someone 'fiddles about' inside the equipment/appliance in the belief that most within it is 'safe' because its (SP) 'main switch is 'off' - but you might say that designers and regulations should not consider such future levels of 'idiocy'.

Involving less 'idiocy', what if the equipment has a ('mains') outlet, or is, say, an extension lead with a switch at the outlets end (I have some which do). It might not be unreasonable for someone to assume that the sockets/outlets were not live when the local switch was 'off'.

Kind Regards, John

I suppose the most obvious reason is in case someone 'fiddles about' inside the equipment/appliance in the belief that most within it is 'safe' because its (SP) 'main switch is 'off' - but you might say that designers and regulations should not consider such future levels of 'idiocy'.
I would say that. Unplug it.

Involving less 'idiocy', what if the equipment has a ('mains') outlet, nor is, say, an extension lead with a switch at the outlets end (I have some which do). It might not be unreasonable for someone to assume that the sockets/outlets were not live when the local switch was 'off'.
Remember we are not talking about using EU sockets on 32A circuits or fitting EU plugs to all equipment in a UK property.

Presumably an EU socket would only be fitted and used because a person cannot fit a UK plug on a specific piece of equipment.

Sponsored Links
I would say that. Unplug it.
I thought you might!
Remember we are not talking about using EU sockets on 32A circuits or fitting EU plugs to all equipment in a UK property.
Agreed regarding the former. As for the latter, it's not 'we' but, rather, eric who seems to feel that it would be OK to wire a UK installation entirely with reference to non-UK regulations, hence presumable 'EU sockets' everywhere.

Kind Regards, John

I have a Schuko extension lead with a switch and it is a DP switch.
That's OK then.

I have no idea whether my switched ones have SP or DP switches (I suppose i could check!) - but, with polarised plugs, it doesn't really matter - at least, not in relation to what we're discussing.

Kind Regards, John

As for the latter, it's not 'we' but, rather, eric who seems to feel that it would be OK to wire a UK installation entirely with reference to non-UK regulations, hence presumable 'EU sockets' everywhere.
Yes, but surely one would have to follow all the other rules from whichever system one chose to follow - at least for the circuits and equipment concerned.

I am sure Eric is not suggesting just swapping all the sockets - and plugs - in his house with German ones.

Didn't the Americans use their own system in their air force bases in the UK?

Yes, but surely one would have to follow all the other rules from whichever system one chose to follow - at least for the circuits and equipment concerned. ... I am sure Eric is not suggesting just swapping all the sockets - and plugs - in his house with German ones.
Probably not, but he does appear to believe (presumably because of that statement in pre-2013 App Doc Ps) that, if he did (and complied with all aspects of the German regs), that would be deemed to indicate compliance with Part P. Maybe he is (or was, and maybe still is, in Wales?) correct?
Didn't the Americans use their own system in their air force bases in the UK?
I believe they did (for fairly obvious reasons), but that's a very special case/situation - and I'm not even sure that such bases even counted as 'UK soil', did they?

Kind Regards, John

Probably not, but he does appear to believe (presumably because of that statement in pre-2013 App Doc Ps) that, if he did (and complied with all aspects of the German regs), that would be deemed to indicate compliance with Part P. Maybe he is (or was, and maybe still is, in Wales?) correct?
I recall a story years ago (back when BS7671 forbade sockets in bathrooms and work in bathrooms was notifiable in England) of someone installing a Schuko socket in a UK bathroom in accordance with German standards and successfully getting LABC to sign off on it.

, but he does appear to believe (presumably because of that statement in pre-2013 App Doc Ps) that, if he did (and complied with all aspects of the German regs), that would be deemed to indicate compliance with Part P.
I am sure BS7671 used to say something similar but I can't find it in the BBB.

Unless you think the German system is less safe then surely it must comply with Part P.

I am sure BS7671 used to say something similar but I can't find it in the BBB. Unless you think the German system is less safe then surely it must comply with Part P.
It's not really 'what I think' that matters - but it does raise an interesting question.....

I think we can probably agree that non-polarised general-purpose sockets, particularly if unshuttered, would not be compliant with BS7671 and that, if one were to ask the authors of BS7671 why that was the case, they would probably say that it was because they would not regard such sockets as adequately safe (or would regard them as potentially unsafe).

... which would make it a bit odd that one could comply with Part P by doing something which BS7671 regarded as 'unsafe', simply because it was an accepted practice in Germany!

Kind Regards, John

I phoned NICEIC for an advice and I was told there are 2 options number one re wire the lighting circuit again and option two to replace all switches and lights holder to non metal to prevent an electric shock and place a sticker .

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210202-085624_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20210202-085624_eBay.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 60
That was what the old best practice said, clearly still valid. To my mind lack of earth means pre 1966 so need to be very careful.

As said had it with perants house and could not get the RCD to hold in. Lucky before 2004 so was permitted to simply remove.

Not sure today, we make a judgement as to what is safe, and we do what we consider as acceptable, but as to what a court would say if it all went wrong we don't know.

When I read court cases I think there by grace of God go I.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back