Crabtree starbreaker CU

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK, Starbreaker fitted with MCB's, don't know how old it is, but the house wiring is 1964'ish. Coming off the downstairs sockets circuit is a feed to a shed. It has to be all pre 70's since the wiring in the shed is white sheath, red/black. I've looked everywhere for some sort of isolator to the shed feed but cannot locate.
We want to take shed away and that leaves us with a live wire and no way to isolate (aside from the CU) so thinking to wire it into an external 2 gang. Is it essential to use a socket with RCD (since CU has only MCB's)?
Is this something I have to call in an electrician or can I DIY?
cheers

Sponsored Links
Disconnect the cable at the point where it spurs off from the socket circuit.

It has to be all pre 70's since the wiring in the shed is white sheath, red/black.
Doesn't mean that - the change to harmonised colours happened on 01/04/2006, but in reality, if a DIYer had old colour cable to hand he could have carried on using it for quite some time after that.

Is it essential to use a socket with RCD (since CU has only MCB's)?
If you want a socket, yes.

Is this something I have to call in an electrician or can I DIY?
If you want a socket then ideally use an electrician as the circuit should be tested to prove that it is safe to use.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all the answers. I'll buy an RCD protected socket for outside use.
It's not so much I need an outside socket, but fitting a socket seems the easier option than delving into the Crabtree!

Why not remove the feed to the shed at the point it's spurred from the socket circuit? Do you mean it's a spur from the CU on the fuse that also feeds the socket circuit?

Thanks for all the answers. I'll buy an RCD protected socket for outside use.
It's not so much I need an outside socket, but fitting a socket seems the easier option than delving into the Crabtree!
Where does the cable run, such that you can use it to supply a socket when the shed it currently supplies is removed?

What sort of cable is it?

Why not remove the feed to the shed at the point it's spurred from the socket circuit? Do you mean it's a spur from the CU on the fuse that also feeds the socket circuit?
I'm having trouble locating the spur. It's on the downstairs circuit, that much I know. Cable is in conduit and white PVC type.

Is there a Switch-fuse or isolator before the Crabtree board? If there is, you could turn it off, and open the front of the Crabtree board - you should look for one item...
Does the garage feed run off the B32 breaker serving the downstairs ring final circuit?
If that is the case, you could disconnect the feed at the B32 breaker and isolate it that way.

Is there a Switch-fuse or isolator before the Crabtree board? If there is, you could turn it off, and open the front of the Crabtree board - you should look for one item...
Does the garage feed run off the B32 breaker serving the downstairs ring final circuit?
If that is the case, you could disconnect the feed at the B32 breaker and isolate it that way.
unlikely to be the case. more likely to be spurred from the nearest socket/fcu to the shed. If you were going to go all the way back to the board, you'd put an extra breaker in

Thanks for all the replies. The conduit runs under patio pavers...so pulling it up is out of the question for now. I think I will join up some more 20mm conduit and terminate with a a suitable weatherproof socket/RCD unit.
BTW, what is best way to weatherproof the entry point of the conduit? Rubber grommet or PVC adaptor? If it's the PVC adaptor, is it male or female?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back