CRACK IN ASBESTOS FLUE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My 9" asbestos flue pipe has a crack in it, about 1m long and about 5mm wide.
I don't want to ask an engineer to come out who may then be required to close my system off.
I need a new boiler anyway as the current one is 30 years old--very reliable but probably highly inefficient!--but even an gasman who comes to look and quote may also shut me off.
My question is --what can I fix the crack with to make it safe for a short time to enable engineers to come without invoking a safety shutdown?

Sponsored Links
You have answered your own question.

You can't use it, turn on the immersion for hot water and start getting quotes for a replacement.

Andy

We don't advise on DIY gas or combustion related matters for obvious reasons.

There is a material which will probably do a very good repair. But we are not permitted to do bodge repairs as we can only use new and approved for the purpose materials. I have this expectation that if that was done to yours then you would never get it replaced!

So the advice would be to get the boiler replaced during the hot weather when engineers are not very busy.

Tony

Sponsored Links
A crack in an ASBESTOS!! flue could release enough Carbon monoxide to kill you quickly, however ASBESTOS fibres from the crack will probably Kill you in about 40 years time!!

if that sistuation was occuring in my home, the boiler would go OFF and the Asbestos flue safely removed ASAP! :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back