cracked drain/gulley after patio dig

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've just broken up our concrete patio in preparation for replacement with paving slabs. This is all new to me for please excuse the lack of knowledge and incorrect naming of parts..

The pipe leading to the drain where the kitchen waste goes is cracked, looks like it might have been that way for a little while, but our breaker won't have helped I guess. Anyway, what is it that I need to replace this? I've seen gulleys and traps online but nothing seems to quite match what I have!

I'm going to dig it out a little more later to have a better look. I diverted the kitchen sink waste straight into the drain so not so much of it was leaking into the ground, hence the different before & after pictures.

Thanks

F8F71C0F-085B-4AA9-A698-96DAF483D58B.jpg

D89E42CB-34BE-4CF8-8C22-FF53B218B56B.jpg

1BE69DFC-6964-4B46-B7FB-05CB0263A4AC.jpg

Sponsored Links
It's a hepworth /supersleve back inlet gulley and down a bit will be a coupling in plastic replace with a SH 1 clay hopper plain supersleve 100 house drain:notworthy:

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Yes, both wastes can go into the one hopper, although I'd make sure you get a plastic grid, (easier to cut holes through!), and I'd put another 45 bend on the white waste to angle it straight into the new hopper. Both pipes need to discharge below the grid ideally. Makes it slightly more sanitary and avoids build up of crud on the grid, especially from kitchen sinks etc. (Nige beat me to it!)

Great, I'll see if I can find a local stockist.
Thanks for the quick responses Nige & Hugh.

Ok, have the SH1 hopper but it's not a tight fit - should it be? Do I need a new coupling?

I would replace the collar as a matter of course, they should be a fairly tight fit but reusing an old seal never works, the gasket has stretched and set to suit the old fitting. If you cut through the plastic lip at the end of the existing collar with a small hacksaw, it should allow you to pull the collar off then remove the old gasket from the pipe without too much difficulty and avoid damage to the next section below. Be careful though if cut edges are present, clay pipe can be as sharp as glass.

I thought the whole idea of a "b I g" was to create a separate water seal for the back inlet to prevent smells etc.?

Yes Steve, although I'd be tempted to remove the old collar first just to check. On the side will be some large letters moulded into the plastic, either 'Hepsleve' or Supersleve'. Supersleve superseded Hepsleve, and there is a slight size difference. If the original drain is Hepsleve it just means you'll need a Hepsleve to Supersleve collar as opposed to a Supersleve to Supersleve as in your link.

Tony, not to my knowledge. It just means there is facility to make a connection to the gulley without going through the grid, and means grid is easily removable to allow rodding/jetting access if required.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back