cracks appearing!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently purchased a 3 bed semi (approx 1930's) when i purchased it,it had been empty and UN-heated for around 14+months.

I then had new central heating fitted,i had it skimmed (full house) and then let the plaster dry naturally for around 6 months,after 6 months i had it painted watered down matt paint.

The painter then mixed pva in the paint (acylic egg shell) and painted all the house,after 2-3 weeks of it being painted i finally moved in.

Now ive noticed cracking along the bottom of the wall where it joins the top of the skirting not big cracks and not hairline cracks,inbetween i'd say.

I was told its normal as the house has been heated/lived in after nearly 17 months. Ive only noticed the cracks in some places only..like stairs,living room (on bottom of one wall-along top of skirting) and one hairline crack by the edge of bedroom window.

This something to worry about or is this normal ?

Sponsored Links
If you had the skimming done with the skirting boards on, then the plaster will crack along the top of s/boards. Plaster will nearly always crack where it meets against wood. Is the crack by the window where the reveal meets the actual window frame?

Roughcaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back