Cracks everywhere after loft conversion, should I worry?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

About 6 months ago I had a local firm in to do a loft conversion in my 3 bed house, the loft being the 4th and master bedroom. The house was built in 1998. The footprint of the house is about 8.5m x 4.5m, and it's link detached.

Two RSJ's were installed from one side of the house to the other (the kind that come in two parts and are bolted together, so four sections in total) - they rest in the concrete, breeze-block looking bricks. The floor was suspended from them and a new staircase was installed. The top of the staircase was attached to two wooden floor joists that were installed side-by-side and go between the RSJ's.

After the builders had gone, I waited a couple of weeks and then caulked along the new stair case, etc. A month or so after that, cracks began to appear and they seem to get bigger every time I look, and more and more of them each time too.

I'm a bit concerned now and wondered if any expert eyes are on this forum that could have a quick look for me!

New staircase:

First part of new staircase, before it turns...

Top of new staircase (landing)

Top of new doorway into loft bedroom

Top of new doorway into loft bedroom (again)

New staircase, viewed from landing

Underneath new staircase, top handrail post

Underneath new staircase, bottom handrail post

Underneath new staircase, where it meets old ceiling

Complete staircase

James

Sponsored Links
all of the images display very typical shrinkage cracks.

you should adopt a more typical - 'man of the house' attitude, and not be so keen to paint! had you left it all 12 months, then the timber would have acclimatized and settled into its moisture content equilibrium. :p

try being a bloke instead of a knight.:cool: :LOL:

Yes, most seem to be typical shrinkage, but I don't know what's going on with the 3rd from bottom image.

Its a bit unusual to see this much shinkage in a conversion - expected in a new build with lots of drying out to occur, but there should be less moisture and therefore less drying /shrinkage issues in extensions and conversions.

I would not expect a new stair flight to shrink that much unless it was outside in a yard for a few weeks first

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back