cracks in bathroom wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello everyone. I am new to this forum but looking for some help. I have recently moved in to a house and noticed a crack in the bathroom wall near the ceiling. I didn't notice this when I looked around the property but it may have already been there (i am not 100 percent sure).

Is there a tool or device on the market that I could buy (or maybe hire from a tool hire shop) which would help to measure any movement? I could just measure the crack once a week but that might not be accurate enough as I could be measuring a different part of the crack each time.

I guess I need to fix something in place which can measure any movement. Any ideas if this is something available? The Screwfix staff looked at me funny when I tried to explain what I wanted, so they aren't much use it seems!

Sponsored Links
If you are trying to discover if the house or the crack is moving.
Place a piece of tape perpendicular to the crack with a pencil mark registering where each end is. If the gap does increase, the tape will move across the wall and move away from the pencil lines.
Simple and cheap!

PrenticeBoyofDerry: simple ideas are usually the best aren't they? - a proper Blue Peter jobbie what I've made here but I think as a home made crack monitor goes it should do the job!

Thanks for the help on that one. Let's hope my wall isn't "on the move"!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back