Cracks in bedroom wall above 1yr old single storey extension

Sponsored Links
not 100 % sure but all structual work by your builder should still be under garentee so my advice would be to get him out tell him you want a structual engeeners report done . Do you know if the steel was calculated?
And do you know if it was put in place on pad stones ???

Sponsored Links
Sally, I often see questions about cracks on this forum that are just normal, innoccuous shrinkage or settlement. . Unfortunately, yours are not and must be looked at by a professional. Whatever you do though, don't panic. These things can always be sorted.

Assuming the crack is somewhere towards the middle of the span then settlement is less likely than severe deflection of the main beams. The crack also looks wider at the base, which would indicate rotation around the bearings rather than the middle of the span - this also points towards a deflection problem.

All this needs to be checked on site by someone who knows though.

In the meantime, did you employ a structural engineer - to design the beams that is? If so you should contact him/her immediately.

If no struct eng then I would advise speaking with a chartered building surveyor. A surveyor is more likely to advise you going forward if this comes to a claim and an engineer can be called in if necessary.

I would advise not to deal direct with the builder without taking professional advice. Also put everything in writing.

Contact a local structual engineer, arrange a viewing. From here he will give you his opinion free of charge and if required will write you a report on the situation for a fee of no more than £100. Which is priceless. From then you should proceed to the builder for rectification and Ask your structual engineer to overlook whatever rectification is required, this extra cost should be incurred by the builder. Then he will sign to say the property is structually sound.
All this should have been done originally, maybe not the overlooking installation part but the s/e should always be involved with the calculations of steels for large load bearing openings. Including workings out of padstone sizes, etc.

Sally, I often see questions about cracks on this forum that are just normal, innoccuous shrinkage or settlement. . Unfortunately, yours are not and must be looked at by a professional. Whatever you do though, don't panic. These things can always be sorted.

Assuming the crack is somewhere towards the middle of the span then settlement is less likely than severe deflection of the main beams. The crack also looks wider at the base, which would indicate rotation around the bearings rather than the middle of the span - this also points towards a deflection problem.

In the meantime, did you employ a structural engineer - to design the beams that is? If so you should contact him/her immediately.

If no struct eng then I would advise speaking with a chartered building surveyor. A surveyor is more likely to advise you going forward if this comes to a claim and an engineer can be called in if necessary.

I would advise not to deal direct with the builder without taking professional advice. Also put everything in writing.

Very well put Jeds.

Very well put Jeds.

That's what i thought too Nose'l. ;)

Contact a local structual engineer, arrange a viewing. From here he will give you his opinion free of charge and if required will write you a report on the situation for a fee of no more than £100. Which is priceless. From then you should proceed to the builder for rectification and Ask your structual engineer to overlook whatever rectification is required, this extra cost should be incurred by the builder. Then he will sign to say the property is structually sound.
All this should have been done originally, maybe not the overlooking installation part but the s/e should always be involved with the calculations of steels for large load bearing openings. Including workings out of padstone sizes, etc.

Of course the builder may not be at fault here. He may just have been following design.

well seeing as theres been no mention of any cracks or disturbance to ground floor walls and ceilings that clearly indicates there is no distortion regarding steel or padstone insufficiency or movement. So the only other explanation can be that the issue has arose due to a poor installation of load bearing steel and inadequate supporting, packing of above loads.

If this is the case then it is ultimatley the builders fault.

Even if this is not the case, the builder has directed the structual engineer to design and calculate the project in hand, if there is a problem regarding the engineers design then that is still in the builders court to rectify the situation and sort it out with the engineer.

Best to establish these things before going off on one on the builder - or anybody else come to that.

Professionals should always be employed direct with client - never through a third party. Doesn't rule it out of course but very poor practice if that's what they've done.

builders already stated that it is settlement , and by the looks of the photos it quite clearly is not.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back