Cracks In Ceiling - Advice needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

This is a property I purchased back in 2016 and have been away from until this week. There were very small cracks in the ceiling here when I purchased it. But on return they certainly appear to have become worse. It felt a good idea to get some advice on here to help steer how I future proceed with any further steps/assistance.

This is the room, it has a ceiling crack the full width of the ceiling.

Some closer shots

(The stained, discoloured bit was like that when I first purchased, though the big chunk missing is new)

For reference, the rooms directly above the point of the cracked ceiling is where the Master bedroom & Ensuite meet (which I presumed at the time explained the discoloured patch)

Could the worsening of the ceiling cracks below be due to how heavy the bed frame is in this room? its solid Mahogany and very heavy. Also the floor boards in the master bedroom are a little creaky to walk on and the ceiling in the master bedroom has some cracks in there too(Have some heavy items up in the attic for storage). Could any of the above be causing the cracks on the ground floor ceiling?

Thank you for your assistance, I'm just not sure what to do next and would really appreciate any advice or guidance.

P

Sponsored Links
how old is the building?

Is there a loft conversion, room knock-through or extension?

built in 1977,

No loft conversion, we do have board down up there and using it for storage.

This room is on the far right side of the house, however, there was an orangery added onto the otherside of the house in 2013, though there are 4 rooms between that and the room pictured above. And none of those rooms show any signs of ceiling cracks.

Looks like small leak from en suite caused stains , heavy bed may have cause slight movement in ceiling timbers .

Sponsored Links
That looks like a straightforward shrinkage crack caused buy either (or both) new occupancy heating patterns and that leak dampening and then drying out the plasterboard.

Thanks all,

Recommendation for repair - Some caulk and paint over? or will I need to go a little further than that?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back