Cracks in ceiling after building work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am aware that for a definitive answer I need a survey done, but at the moment there is £0 in that pot.

In 2015 next door property converted a 1950s asbestos roofed single story building into a 2 story building. Flat upstairs.
Steel frame was used for the roof etc, up against our side wall and wall of another property (and our garage but that is another issue!).This was finished tail end 2015.

I had noticed the odd crack now and again - it's a 1901 property we are in so assumed typical.
Just this last month I have noticed a number of long cracks have appeared in our ceiling and on the plasterboard on the roof (in the stairwell its right up to roof with a skylight). Also in our bedroom, and the adjoining bedroom, there are cracks /the wallpaper has twisted in corners and ripped).

Is it possible that our house is being constricted? It has gone from being an end terrace to a mid terrace technically.

Sponsored Links
It is quite normal for ceilings in houses to be cracked by the time they are a hundred years old.

Are you sure yours is plasterboard? If so it must be a relatively modern replacement. Go in the loft and look at the upper surface of the ceiling, describe it and attach photos.

Also attach photos showing the cracks looking up in the room. If they follow rectangular shapes, in straight lines up to about 8ft x 4 ft, they are joints.

If they look like somebody has tried to draw a map of the countries of the world, it's a bad sign.

Pull away the torn wallpaper and photograph the cracks. Put something in the photo to show scale.

Did you have a Party Wall Agreement?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back