Crap paint or crap brushes?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In the picture, are the poor coverage and lines in the paint due to poor paint or poor brushes or both?
It is very frustrating!
20211129_122046.jpg

Sponsored Links
Probably both, what paint are you using, has the surface been prepped and what is the surface?

Probably both, what paint are you using, has the surface been prepped and what is the surface?
It's Wickes Trade matt emulsion. I admit that the brushes are not brand new, they're from Screwfix and weren't very expensive.

The surface is previously painted emulsion in a sky blue colour, or maybe lilac.

I know you get what you pay for. I also painted another small room with paint from a tin (bathroom paint) and the difference was unbelievable. It was like tar in comparison. I think it was Homebase own brand.

Sponsored Links
Can you post a pic from a bit further out?
Is it a wall in a room? Do you have a roller?
It looks like you've put it on with a hard brush or one that's been left with paint on it.

I always buy crown or dulux, own brands have to save somewhere. I would give the walls a quick rub with sandpaper or one of those green scourers and some sugar soap. Rinse off, let dry and then paint using a roller. Trying to cover a darker colour will take at least 2 coats. You could always use that paint up as the first coat and then use a decent brand.

The professionals will have their own goto brands………

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back