Crown quick drying gloss - crap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just bought some of this today and I'm not pleased. In the past I have used oil based gloss but thought I'd have a bash at water based as the last time I used oil based it yellowed.

This Crown quick drying is thick - jelly thick and paints on like buttering bread - brush marks galore leaving a crap finish. Thank God I've only done the loft hatch. At least the oil based stuff flowed into a smooth finish.... before it yellowed!

Am I doing something wrong? What gloss paint would people recommend. Gonna take this stuff back.

Sponsored Links
Crown = Crap.
Get Dulux Trade High Gloss, the one that reeks of chemicals when being applied and for several days afterwards.

White gloss only yellows in dark locations, in the light it is fine. Or get a different colour.

Speed a practised technique and a decent synthetic brush are the key to a great finish with the water Bourne paints, I use the crown satin and at first was a bit rough but after learning how the paint works/acts I can achieve a very high standard of finish now.
I have used over a hundred tins of the stuff now so plenty of practise had.
Always work in one direction, never over spread and if you make a mistake then don't try to correct it, just let dry then a light rub down and touch up.

Always work in one direction, never over spread and if you make a mistake then don't try to correct it, just let dry then a light rub down and touch up.

Probably the most important factor in obtaining a good, even finish with water based glosses. If you try to over-brush an area that is beginning to dry, you'll end up in all sorts of brown stuff!

Sponsored Links
last time I used oil based it yellowed.

Dulux had a bad batch of paint that yellowed quickly. I did a whole flat with it and couldn't work out what had gone wrong till I read the article.

Water based glosses always drag compared to oil based. Either keep a pot of water by your side to dip the brush in when laying off or use a paint conditioner.
My preferred combination is Johnstones Aqua gloss with Floetrol at about 10% two coats should give you a brush mark free finish.
In my experience anything which says one coat, non drip or quick drying is always a pain to work with.
Don't know about Armstead but Johnstones aqua is touch dry in under an hour and although they say recoatable in 4 to 6 hours I have always found it fine to recoat in half that time

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back