creaking pipes from the loft in winter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Last winter, I experienced creaking noises from the pipes in my loft. It was when the weather was particularly cold. Is this doing any damage? If so, can I make any preventive moves? Also - should my heating be left on or off or on timer- if so what time should I put it on to keep the risk of freezing pipes without my heating bill going through the roof? Also Is there anything I can use to strengthen the joints to handle the expanding? In other words - any general info on this sort of thing that I can consider in the next few months before the next cold period.

Sponsored Links
Make sure you've got the extra-thick pipe insulation, with all joints and taps thoroughly wrapped. It should look as thick as your arm.

Down here near the equator, we don't get that sort of thing.

Sponsored Links
It's true!

When I used to work in the North (Ipswich) I had to buy my first-ever snow shovel after the car got stuck in a drift one night.

I was also alarmed to hear what my ABS brakes sounded like, they'd never been activated down here.

All materials especially copper pipes will expand as they warm up. Imagine the coefficient of expansion of copper multiplied by a length of several feet. The expansion will be more if the attic temperature is 2 degrees than if it's 20 degrees and the water 55 degrees.

As above, make sure the pipes are all adequately lagged. This won't stop them expanding but it will prevent them freezing. As to the noise, unless you're prepared to wrap something slippery around every pipe at every point where it contacts something immovable, I reckon you're stuck with it.

I have often wondered whether it's better to keep the heating permanently set at, say, 19 C or to switch it on twice a day and ask the boiler to warm the house up to 21 C. Even in our well-insulated house in winter it struggles all evening to warm the entire structure and contents of the house, then we switch it off and go to bed. I have even tried a timer/stat that keeps the house at 17 through the day then goes up to 21 in the evenings and mornings but this didn't seem to work particularly well. It's impossible to conduct a week by week comparison of gas consumption because the UK weather is maritime and so is seldom stable for more than a few days. We suspect that it doesn't pay to keep the house warm 24/7, as they say in trendy circles.

Coldest I ever experienced was -24 C in Aviemore. Even the soil pipes were freezing!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Winker has posted this same question three times. I have locked
the others and will move this one to plumbing.

Mod Rupert

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Are the pipes copper or plastic?

What are they supplying?

How long are the pipe runs?

Are the pipes clipped? If so, how often (distance-wise)?

Are they lagged? If so, with what thickness?

Mod Rupert
winker is trolling an needs banning , he has done this elsewhere ...

Do you really count what he's doing as trolling, Moz?

Are you saying that winker is not genuine, and is just wasting people's time?

Softus
if you dont think repeatedly asking the same question over threads not trolling , an acting like its the 1st time he answered/replied one of the many answers as the first time he heard it not trolling , then pray tell what is ..lol...lol

JohnD
what on other forums an repeated questions , if he aint the "airbrick troll "(I think you know who I mean "damp on door!") I will eat my hat ,lol...lol

I have posted the same questions into different forums . Just like most of my diy projects - I just rushed in and made a balls up. sorry chaps. didn't realise how serious it was. I'll hit myself on the head with a hammer.

++++++++++++++++++++

It's OK, Winker, you know now.

I can see everything from the Mod's Palace.

Mod Rupert

++++++++++++++++++++

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back