Creaking stud walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
iIve just moved into a 2001 house which has stud walls between the main bedrooms and there accompanying un-suites. The problem is that in both of these rooms, there is really loud creaking in the area of the floor adjacent to the separating stud wall and door between the un-suite and bedroom. I've pulled the carpets back and screwed the floor sheets down tight to the joists incase the tasks had loosened, but this hasn't helped. Any ideas?

Cheers

Fraz

Sponsored Links
gonch said:
Hi,
iIve just moved into a 2001 house which has stud walls between the main bedrooms and there accompanying un-suites. The problem is that in both of these rooms, there is really loud creaking in the area of the floor adjacent to the separating stud wall and door between the un-suite and bedroom. I've pulled the carpets back and screwed the floor sheets down tight to the joists incase the tasks had loosened, but this hasn't helped. Any ideas?

Cheers

Fraz

I've just been working in a house newish 3-4 years old and the walls are metal frame construction the thickness total was 2 - 1/2 " :rolleyes:

They don't build houses like they used to do :)

Sponsored Links
What could be the problem is that when the stud wall was installed they nailed down the base plate timber, and when walking near it the movement in the floor is causing the nails to squeak. I had a job a while ago and this was the problem. I took the skirting boards off and put some screws at an angle thru the plate(being careful to use suitable length screws).

My house (circa 1990) suffers the same problem and ALL the floors are starting to creak. The floors are chipboard tongue and groove :( and have been nailed with ribbed nails.

As I do each room I am lifting the floor and relaying it using Spax screws every 300mm - expensive but fantastic! The one wall I have removed the plasterboard from has explained why the wall/ floor joints creak - two 6" nails holding the sole plate, which is about 9' long! No wonder they are 'loose' and creaking. I have screwed them with Spax screws and the wall is now solid against the floor.

In the other rooms where I have not taken off a wall, I managed to force Gripfill under the sole plate as there was about a 5mm gap between the sole plate and the floor! I used a straw attached to the end of the Gripfill nozzle and had to put considerable pressure on my mastic gun levers, but it got right to the centre of the gap in several places along the length of the sole plate and once set stopped the creaking. Having said that, if you can remove the skirting and then screw in at an angle that has to be better.

Or another solution is to cut the nails themselves by inserting a hacksaw blade into the void between floor and wall then simply cut the nail through.
Done it to mine and resolved the problem.
Just be careful to make sure there are no pipes or cables

One of the biggest problem of T&G floorboards as most of them are not glued

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back