Creaky Victorian Stairs - ideal to fix please!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, please see the attached picture.

The stairs are original Victorian. I am going to get them professionally painted and, later, put a stair runner up them.

Before I do that, I want to fix the creaking on certain steps.

Does anyone have any advice on best approach?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0163.jpeg
    IMG_0163.jpeg
    304.6 KB · Views: 28
Sponsored Links
Do a search of the forum! I know for a fact that I have answered this very question several times in the past couple of years (e.g. here and here) and in some detail. Follow that first link and you'll find some pictures of the structure from beneath which helps make more sense of how stairs are made (and therefore an indication if how to repair them)

Basically, can you get access to the underside of the stairs? It looks like perhaps some of the wedges holding the treads and risers in place are loose or missing keaving a gap where the treads are inserted into the housings in the riser. You may also be missing some of the triangular glue blocks from the underside, too, but if you can only see this stuff with the underdrawings removed to gain access

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back