Creating a tiny airlock, am I worrying about nothing.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
About to disconnect a radiator.

I've got room under the floor to do it.

Easy way, having looked, is to cut off the two 15mm (I hope) tails going up to it, and cap them.

But that would leave one of them as a short little 'up stand'. So it'll have air trapped in it for ever.

Would that be a problem? Or am I being silly. This section is copper, though there is some Hep2O elsewhere in the system.

Just that to cut the T out, is in the way of a mess of wires, and I think it's actually 3/4 inch and there's a horrible junction I'll have to sort out.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
PS, when I say 'I hope' it's 15mm, I almost came a cropper when I assumed 3/4 inch was 22mm.

If you have access, cut it as clos to the 'tees' as possible. When you blank it the full leg will have air in it, it will eventually go but best practice is no deadlegs, tees chopped out or blank close.

I can't imagine it will cause any problems. If you are really worried fit a couple of isolation valves and let the air out (carefully)

Sponsored Links
That small bit will not cause trouble on a heating circuit. The main problems would occur on a hot water draw off on a combination boiler or an instantaneous water heater (multipoint) where the burner shut down would be delayed.

If you really want to leave an upstand you could fit a manual air release (thumb vent) to let the air out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back