Creating your own Plans for an extension

The trouble is people do not realise a good set of drawings will probably save them money during the build not to mention get them better more competitive quotes from builders. With well intentioned DIY amateur attempts at plans the builder is more likely to hit problems and have to make changes and thereby charge for extras.

Spot on Wessex. As a DIY plan drawer and builder, I found the full-regs process particularly useful because it forced me to think everything through in detail: exact specification of materials, positioning of walls, beams, hangars, floor depths etc. Even though it feels like more unnecessary work compared to a Permitted-development sketch and then building to regs 'on notice', I wouldn't recommend it. You get more than your money back in saved time and avoidance of insanity. It's just a good, healthy approach to project management generally.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Except pilsbury, he is a legend. He managed to get hundreds of pounds worth of free advice from the usual suspects on here and a self builder can't really screw himself with extras.

And when his soldering sets his extension on fire he could get mates rates for getting it extinguished (y)

That's even more pertinent, but perhaps a bit OT for this thread. I see some plan monkeys make a living from cut n paste.

I don't know how they get away with it, every job is different. I've got a few standard details that I re-use but even then errors can sneak in. I think my worst crime over the last 30 years or so was specifying 75mm cavity closers in a 100mm cavity, luckily the builder spotted it but I was mortified.

Sponsored Links
I was mortified.
And rightly so.

One bloke around here routinely puts nice beam connection details, eaves details, ridge and wall connection details ...... where there are non actually in the build. Looks lovely though.

I hope some of you noticed my efforts to use recyclable paper. Being a non smoker, old utility bills and envelopes are a boon.

Except pilsbury, he is a legend. He managed to get hundreds of pounds worth of free advice from the usual suspects on here and a self builder can't really screw himself with extras.
I have to admit punching myself in the head a few times. Perhaps another builder wouldn’t have stood for that. Save your legendary praise for a few months.... when finished I’m going to start a project post. You may wish to retract your statement then.

Talking of CAD, my IT department recently leant me AutoCAD2013 before getting themselves all made redundant - Then I resigned - So does anybody need to use AutoCAD2013...?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back