How hard is it to draw your own plans?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm considering some fairly basic works, including changes to windows and wall insulation, which would mostly not require any permissions except that the building is listed.

Back in January I found an architectural technician to draw the plans and submit the application for me, but he has proved ridiculously slow and I've given up on him. Today I've contacted someone else but they are too busy to even look at the work until June. I'm now wondering about just doing it myself.

I don't have any proper CAD software but I think I could manage to draw things using the graphics programs that I do have. What I'm less confident of is knowing how much detail I'm expected to include, and the procedural / bureaucratic processes.

Has anyone here done a "DIY" listed building consent application? Any advice?

Sponsored Links
Impossible to say without knowledge of the building, the works and the conservation officer. We've got one or two nutters around here that want details and samples of the circa 1970s brownstuff plaster before they'll let you touch it.

On the difficulty; it is really difficult. And I mean really, really difficult. It's impossible to overstate the level of superior intelligence needed to take on such a task.

Surely the drawing is only part of the application process. The other important bit is knowing what to include regards written content and being familiar with building regulations etc.
For instance, would you know when an extra heavy duty lintel is required over a standard duty lintel?

Simple stuff but relevant and costly if things go south. People think the can design when all they can really do is draw boxes to scale.

Surely the drawing is only part of the application process. The other important bit is knowing what to include regards written content and being familiar with building regulations etc.
For instance, would you know when an extra heavy duty lintel is required over a standard duty lintel?

In this case I don't have anything as technically complicated as a lintel; most of the work is double glazing windows in a style that the authority has publicly said is acceptable (but still requires LBC), and reconstructing external wall linings with insulation inside. Knowing the right jargon is certainly a problem, though.

Sponsored Links
The problem with drawing for planning decisions, is that the planners are expected to make a decison based purely on the detail and drawings you provide. Planners will not ask for extra detail or clarification in the same way that building control will.

So if you don't know what to show, and in what way, and what not the show, and what text to annotate, then you might not get the decision you could have got.

What people dont tend to appreciate (nor do some plan drawers), is that it's not just drawing, but is designing.

Not rocket science.

I had a plan drawn up with BC spec for dormer loft conversion and submitted, however during the build the builder deviated on many things and no revised plan was submitted, BC officer has already done 2 inspections and the last one will be in 2 weeks when complete.

A colleague of mine who is a construction site manager done his own drawings, just sketches with his own measurements and specifications and submitted, he says cos he knows the details the BC will liase with him to get the details.

In my opinion, drawings are expensive and no way worth paying over the odds as the spec and design will change anyway.

I had a plan drawn up with BC spec for dormer loft conversion

A colleague of mine who is a construction site manager done his own drawings, just sketches.

You can do a loft conversion without drawings, and your colleague could have done the same with building control - so he's actually wasted his time sketching if he knows about building.

The OP's issue is listed building consent. And that's not just winging it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back