Creda Storage Heaters Pt2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Make: Creda
Model: 79162

Hey All.

So these storage heaters are the bane of my life.

I noticed one of the storage heaters not working some months ago, I opened it up, realised there was a green component on the thermal combined control (what ever that is) that was heating up really hot, but the storage heater wasn't working. I don't even know if that is the issue. Judging by the price, I thought it wasn't worth looking for the component, so decided to just replace it with a used dimplex I already had.

Now it seems, the main lounge heater seems to have the same issue also.

So just to recap:
There is electricity getting into the heater as that green component heats up quite a lot. (I don't know if this is normal, I assume it is).
The heating elements do not seem to heat up as it doesn't release any heat at all.

Does anyone know what the issue maybe?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Picture of the green component may help. From the link it would seem this is a bi-metal heat controller and possible there is a shunt in parallel with the green component which has gone open circuit. But picture not really good enough so only a guess.

Picture of the green component may help. From the link it would seem this is a bi-metal heat controller and possible there is a shunt in parallel with the green component which has gone open circuit. But picture not really good enough so only a guess.

Sorry for the delay, Here is the overall assembly:

The green item is the accelerator resistor, it is designed to get hot some of the time.

If the elements are not heating, then it's a matter of disconnecting the supply cable and checking continuity from the cable through the heater until a break is found.
Usual culprits are the thermostat or fuse if the heater suddenly stopped working, or the elements if the amount of heat stored seemed to reduce over a period of days/weeks/months.

Sponsored Links
Hey All.
So I think this is one of those Homer Simpson DOH moments.
I had the same issue with my hall way storage heater as well.

At the time I checked the thermal fuse in situ, Previously they have disintegrated into a metal blob, which obviously showed a reading, not realising the Accelerator resistor will have been showing the reading as opposed to nothing.

Anyway, I removed it off this one, checked it, then realised it had blown.
Replaced, and working :D no more shivering.

Thanks for everyone's help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back