Credit card every Time

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Tiny, Time - disaster for some customers.
I am sure we debated the issue of C cards in the past and some had eschewed them .... Used sensibly they are a boon to the shopper !!

..But Maz Iqbal, a barrister with legalguidedog.com, said customers who paid by cash or debit card had little chance of getting their money back or getting their computers. "They are at the lowest priority of payments, so realistically there's no chance," he said.
Customers who paid by credit card should be able to claim from their card issuer.

A little cautionary by the use of 'should' ...
OFT LINK
More
;)

Sponsored Links
I'm surprised they lasted as long as they did! the computer supply industry is so fast moving that volume sales seems to be the way to go and have any stock more than a couple of months seems to be a recipe for disaster.
But it is a shame if all the cut throat comes out of the business as prices will eventually hike up for lack of competition.

Which means those of us inclined to build our own will save even more money! :D

Big players are appearing and disappering all the time. Remember Escom? Massive German computer company. Disappeared overnight.

pipme said:
I am sure we debated the issue of C cards in the past and some had eschewed them .... Used sensibly they are a boon to the shopper !!

Don't remember this thread, but I would (and do) use a credit card whenever I can. It's as easy as cash in a shop now they have chip and pin and nearly as fast; but the best part is that I get interest paid to me on the amount I spend! The card is set up so that the balance is paid automatically each month so all I have to do is to make sure there is enough in the bank that I don't go overdrawn.

The greatest benefit when buying more expensive items or by mail order is that the liability is with the lender, as you pointed out.

Sponsored Links
petewood said:
It's as easy as cash in a shop now they have chip and pin and nearly as fast; but the best part is that I get interest paid to me on the amount I spend! The card is set up so that the balance is paid automatically each month so all I have to do is to make sure there is enough in the bank that I don't go overdrawn.

The greatest benefit when buying more expensive items or by mail order is that the liability is with the lender, as you pointed out.

Hmm, as retailer I beg to differ :(
Accepting credit cards costs a retailer between 2 - 4% on the transaction amount (he, there's your interest :D )

The greatest downfall when supplying something paid by credit card is that if it turns out a fraudulent case not the lender, not the customer (and of course not the crook) is liable, just the poor retailer (has the amount debited from his account again, but still has to pay his supplier = disaster!)

We're still thinking about it if we will accept credit cards in our new shop, but I'm afraid we will have to.

WoodYouLike
I very good post ,I never new that the Retailer was penalised,if that was business that took "the Lump" !

as we say in the Trades self employment when you get The Lump/refused payment for a job ...9 times out of 10 its easier to move on ...

but Im with you I wouldnt Go down the Credit Card payment if I was you ,truely shocking that ...I suppose if your an E Trader (I think thats what they call C/C business online ?)you must or paypal ?
what business is it ?.. one with high payments like sofas if so you have to .......I feel very sorry for you .. :(

WoodYouLike said:
Hmm, as retailer I beg to differ :(
Accepting credit cards costs a retailer between 2 - 4% on the transaction amount (he, there's your interest :D )

Yes I know, we used to take credit cards at work but we put prices up to cover the charges. In the end it turned out we didn't use the terminal enough to justify the extortionate monthly charges and so returned it to the bank (after they had tried to persuade us to keep it!)

Moz said:
but Im with you I wouldnt Go down the Credit Card payment if I was you ,truely shocking that ...I suppose if your an E Trader (I think thats what they call C/C business online ?)you must or paypal ?
what business is it ?.. one with high payments like sofas if so you have to .......I feel very sorry for you .. :(

At the moment our on-line shop only accepts Paypall payments, cheapest ;)
In our new shop to be (when finally the solicitors decide that indeed everything is sorted, as we and the landlord keep telling them!) we will apply for a merchant account and card machine (but like Petewood says add a surcharge when customers use a credit card instead of a much cheaper debit card).
Oh, as the name says: we do Natural Wooden Flooring :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back