Crimping confusion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've never crimped before but I wanted to do my earths securely in some recent SWA wiring.

I found the old crimping tool in my late father's tool box and when buying components for my project, it recommended these so I bought them: https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CTEYEslashYslash4.html

Damned if I can do them. Using both hands and all my strength I can JUST about do it. I looked online before I started and it seems it takes a bit of effort, but not veins popping out on the side of the head effort... Right? I'm no strongman but my hands are reasonably strong which makes me think something is wrong.

Am I being a weakling, have I bought the wrong thing, or is it more likely I'm misusing the tool?

Sponsored Links
Well, they are just rubbish squash-flat insulated crimps - and I suspect your crimpers are not a suitable type either.

To do the job properly uninsulated crimps and hexagonal crimpers are required.

Having said that, and depending on the size of the conductors, poor crimping might be adequate.

Those crimps are fine. I’ve fitted thousands of them.

Two things that may be a problem.

1. Are you using the correct sized crimp? They are colour coded for the size of wire you’re using. If you’re trying to crimp a yellow crimp onto a 1.5mm² wire you’ll struggle to crimp it tight enough to make a sound connection.

2. You need to use a proper ratchet crimper such as https://www.screwfix.com/p/crimping-tool-9/3137v

I've never crimped before but I wanted to do my earths securely in some recent SWA wiring.

Don't quite understand what you mean, but you can't hand crimp swa armouring, it is too hard and won't compress.

Sponsored Links
@MisterBoy - can you show us a photo of your crimpers or a similar one found on the net?
Also explain more about exactly what it is that you are crimping?

DR210.JPG
DVDHCR15.JPG

Those crimps are fine. I’ve fitted thousands of them.

Two things that may be a problem.

1. Are you using the correct sized crimp? They are colour coded for the size of wire you’re using. If you’re trying to crimp a yellow crimp onto a 1.5mm² wire you’ll struggle to crimp it tight enough to make a sound connection.

2. You need to use a proper ratchet crimper such as https://www.screwfix.com/p/crimping-tool-9/3137v
I'm not knocking the linked product but personally I buy better quality crimpers in the region of £50 upwards but having said that as a panel builder where 1000 crimps a day is totally likely the difference is very soom apparent. Additionally they tend to stay in calibration longer.

I'm not knocking the linked product but personally I buy better quality crimpers in the region of £50 upwards but having said that as a panel builder where 1000 crimps a day is totally likely the difference is very soom apparent. Additionally they tend to stay in calibration longer.

I personally have better sets than the one in the link, but for a DIYer such as the op, they’re 1000 times better than squeeze and hope crimpers, yet not too prohibitively expensive.

I personally have better sets than the one in the link, but for a DIYer such as the op, they’re 1000 times better than squeeze and hope crimpers, yet not too prohibitively expensive.
Yes I agree. As said I'm not knocking the product in the slightest, they are good value for money if being used for only a handful of crimps a year. But I wish the 'flat plate' type [in Rockys post] could vanish off the face of the earth though, they make a horrible mess of the terminals.

personally I buy better quality crimpers in the region of £50 upwards but having said that as a panel builder where 1000 crimps a day is totally likely the difference is very soon apparent. Additionally they tend to stay in calibration longer.
Can you post a link to the sort that you use?

Mine look like this
1609B.jpg
rated 10 - 120 mm, the scale on the side
1609B-2.jpg
is rather approximate, and it is really down to user to realise when not enough pressure exerted, the problem with the smaller size this
images
is for non insulated and looks very like the ones used for insulated crimps. This
Crimping-Tool-for-Un-Insulated-Terminals.jpg
also for non insulated and designed to curl over the tags oddly they can cost more than the insulated type, down to how many made. I know the ones shown are for uninsulated as it says so on the web site, but looking at the picture it would be hard to tell.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back