cross bonding in the bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
a bit of advise please
i have just installed a concealed thermostatic shower in my bathroom with cold water being supplied from tank in loft also hot water supplied from cylinder in loft pipes for hot and cold in wall in bathroom
do i need to cross bond these pipes in the wall or in the loft
also it has a fixed shower head will this also need bonding
cheers

Sponsored Links
The reason for cross bonding (equipotential bonding) is to ensure there is no (or minimal) potential difference between any exposed conductive parts of a room. So for example if you touch the hot tap with your left hand (and its somehow got mains voltage on it) then you touch the cold tap (which is connected to earth or at earth potential) then you risk a fatal shock. Equipotential bonding keep everything at the same (or safe) potential.

Did you install the shower using copper or other metallic pipes?
If so then the safe answer is yes bond them together but make sure the bonding clamps are in a position where they can be inspected in the future.

There is a much longer answer which requires assessment of your installation but I am sure you do not want to hear (read) it.

While you are at it you should probably make sure you have gas and mains water main bonding in place. 10mm earth cable from within 0.6m of the consumer side of your gas/water to the main earth terminal of your consumer unit or seperate main eart terminal near the meter.

Also make sure you have an RCD.

a bit of advise please
i have just installed a concealed thermostatic shower in my bathroom with cold water being supplied from tank in loft also hot water supplied from cylinder in loft pipes for hot and cold in wall in bathroom
do i need to cross bond these pipes in the wall or in the loft
also it has a fixed shower head will this also need bonding
cheers
Supplementary equipotential bonding can be omitted in the bathroom if the following have been complied with:
The premises have main protective bonding
and

The disconnection times have been complied with
All circuits in the location have been provided with 30mA RCD protection
all extraneous conductive parts of the location are effectively connected to the protective equipotential bonding
If the three conditions are met – supplementary bonding is not required in locations containing a bath and shower.

Sponsored Links
CAME OFF BOTH TANK AND CYLINDER WITH COPPER DOWWN TO SHOWER VALVE AND COPPER + FLEXI PIPE FOR SHOWER HEAD ALL PIPES IN LOFT CAN I BOND THEM IN THE LOFT
JUST FITTED JACUSSI BATH TOO DOES THE PUMP NEED TO BE CROSS BONDED

CAME OFF BOTH TANK AND CYLINDER WITH COPPER DOWWN TO SHOWER VALVE AND COPPER + FLEXI PIPE FOR SHOWER HEAD ALL PIPES IN LOFT CAN I BOND THEM IN THE LOFT
JUST FITTED JACUSSI BATH TOO DOES THE PUMP NEED TO BE CROSS BONDED

as mentioned above, cross bonding can be omitted if the above conditions are met,

No pumps don't need to be cross bonded because the pumps cpc will be connected (i hope) to the MET.

If you don't know what this means get a qualified electrician in who does!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back