Crumbling wet verge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Yesterday I noticed that the wet verge on the porch didn't look quite right right. I got the ladders out and with literally a thumb and forefinger, I was able to easily remove a large chunk of mortar. On a closer look, the same appears to be happening on the roof (not just the porch). It's a 1990s 3 bed detached. As it's still in place albeit loose, would I be OK with just end caps on would it be best to get it all redone with a wet verge?

I'm based in North East England. Roughly how much should I be looking at?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
All the verge tiles need lifting and the mortar cleaning out, & then decide if you want wet(mortar) verge or a dry plastic verge.
If the barge board or battens are rotted then its

If the verge is crumbling then the ridge tiles bedding are likely to be the same. Can you see daylight between the ridge tiles. Try taking a picture and zooming in or look with some binoculars.
Sounds like a rubbish mix on your house or probably they used the same mortar as the walls which is rubbish for the roof. I have redone a lot of mine and used 3-1 mainly sharp sand whereas i think on site they use 5-1 for the walls with normal sand.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back