cscs cards

i have a cscs card it is to show you can competently safely do the job you are doing i work on mostly big sites and if you dont have one you cant work on the site . its a test at a driving centre about health and safety and the test is specific to the trade you are in and general safety . you get a health and safety book before you take the test so its not the hardest thing in the world . health and safety on most sites now is way over the top the one im on now i have to wear safety glasses hard hat gloves hi vis and steel toe caps as a minimum .... sweat like a pig ... :cry:

Sponsored Links
it is to show you can competently safely do the job you are doing

No it isnt..because it isnt reflective enough of individual trades and doesnt cover every aspect of each individuals job/role.

There are far too many quesitons about scaffolding for a start....ceiling fixers dont need to know the height of a handrail on a scaffold..roofers dont need 'hot work permits'..

health and safety on most sites now is way over the top

So is the death and serious injury rate unfortunatly.

i have to wear safety glasses hard hat gloves hi vis and steel toe caps as a minimum

Thats either because of over interpetation of the general rules..ie PPE should be provided and worn when a significant risk has been identified in a risk assessment...or ..some firms treating it as a 'cosmetic'..to give the impression there is an excellent heath and safety ethos in a particular place of work...the way health and safety is managed on site is far more important.

I love seeing pictures of the three quarter length coat brigade doughnuts standing in a field in the middle of knowhere with a clip board, a theodolite..and a bright yellow heard hat :eek:

''Look out mate..low flying moths'' :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Thanks daytona..

IM not against the card in principle its just the content of the test.

We are not doing bad as far as health and safety is concerned..we are third in Europe (thank god they dont take their figures from Eurovision!) ..guess whos first..yeh the Germans!.. :rolleyes:

Greece are last..if you have ever seen a construction project in Greece youll know why! :eek:

Unfortunatly the HSE are too thin on the ground..they do prosecute, but normally its after the event..they, IMO dont do nowhere near enough to enforce health and safety legislation in the first instance.

And the legislation, in some areas is very 'grey' the word 'should' crops up far to often...and really needs to be replaced with the word 'must' ...'should' implies there is an option.

The other thing that amazes me, most accidents in the home are down to DIY projects..we have all seen the old boy standing at the top of a ladder thats either at 95 or 45 degrees..armed with a full can of masonry paint and a two inch brush..and the loyal mrs with one foot on the bottom of it!

They simply should not be allowed up it..ok its their life..but liken that to motorcyclists..its theirs too..but they have to wear crash helmets by law.

If I let an apprentice loose with a disc cutter and he chopped hes fingers off 'id get done..so why shouldn't Joe Blow walk into B&Q on a sunday morning buy himself a disc cutter go home and do the same thing...not be punished also ????????????????

Things need tightening up.

Back