Requirements & costs to be able to self cert??

Spark123, those GS28 testers you linked to look like a square D mechanical voltage tester some of the guys at work had, it used to be that you had to have one in our workshop. Do you have to have one of those as well a multimeter then?
They are not the same as the old Square D ones, the Martindale one I linked to have neon indicators and don't vibrate on AC. Also on the same page is a proving unit (which I also have one of) which is used to test the probes before and after use. At work I have a set of UK issue steinel combichecks which are also GS38 approved, they have a self check function but we tend to use a socket to prove them.
Never ever use a multimeter to test for dead. It can be set wrong or misread. Don't buy a fluke T5 or another multimeter in a different package which needs to be set.

Fair enough mate, after they stopped supplying voltage testers at work, all we have is a multimeter. So that's what I'm used to using to check circuits, etc.

I've had my fair shair of shocks, not always my own fault. Either way it teaches me to double check, and even then I'll often arc out to be doubly sure ;)

Sponsored Links
I was in a similar postion myself 2 years ago, bit the bullet and got registered, bought the tools as required along the way. SDS drill, wall chaser etc was purchased depending on how big the job was. First rewire I bought all the big stuff. With my full time employment paying the bills, my shift days off I carry out electrical work. Earn about £4k per annum from it. Pays for all the holidays, and if I ever do get made redundant then I can hit the ground running. Customer base building up from friends, to friends of friends through word of mouth. Advertise in parish mags as good price, get a bit of work through these. As your bro in law is giving you the business, I would go for it. Didn't buy a van for a year as used the car, all tax deductable as well. As someones signature says,"if your going to work, work for yourself".

Interesting to hear, my shifts are double days, 5 days a week so don't have many down days as such. What's your day job if you don't mind me asking?

Also, again, as you do domestic work casually, what sort of rates do you charge? If that's too personal, my apologies, just ignore me!!

Trouble is, as the next poster said, you need to speculate to accumulate. I have a reasonably well paid job, but I need that to cover my mortgage and bills. Being fairly young and buying a house 4 years ago means that my monthly outgoings are pretty high.

I don't have any savings either. I think the initial outlay is the gamble for me, and that's what puts me off. The risk of getting into money problems with way the economical climate is currently.

I'll have a chat with the brother in law and see what he thinks, he's been in a similar position himself and pulled through.

Fair enough mate, after they stopped supplying voltage testers at work, all we have is a multimeter. So that's what I'm used to using to check circuits, etc.
That is wrong! How can they not supply you with an essential piece of equipment for doing your job, assuming you do electrical isolations? (Unless you are meant to supply your own which from a safety POV may be in violation of the HASWA)
You can use a multimeter to carry out a measurement however not to prove an isolation.
I'd be quoting GS38 at them and the EAWR, we tend to go through phases where they will issue us with one brand of tester and then they will change their minds and we'll get another one so we end up with a load of them in our lockers!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back