CU in WC?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, been a while since I've been online, I'm thinking of installing a WC in the under stairs cupboard. The only thing is that the house's Consumer Unit is inside that cupboard at the moment.

My question is, is it allowed to have a live consumer unit in a WC or not? If it's allowed, I think I'd rather just leave it in there if i can?

Sponsored Links
You have to take in environmental conditions.
It's allowed but you need to take precautions, so any moisture ingress is prevented. Also I would place it in a position clear of any pipe work in case a leak occurs.
And out of reach of bored toilet dwellers, so they are not compelled to fiddle.
So I would have at a height in a cupboard away from pipe work.

No issue with CU in WC unless there is a shower or bath installed, however standard stuff applies. eg.

i) Equipment must be suitable for the location in which it is installed (so if its directly next to where wash hand basin will go then thats no acceptable due to possible splashing)

ii) Fuseboards must be easily accessible (therefore if you have to stand on the toilet seat to get at it, its not acceptable)

iii) Fuseboards have a lot of cables, which are usually recessed in the wall in a domestic, do not drill fixings into prescribed routing zones, and bare in mind that there is a risk that cables might have been installed out of zone

At a party I was admiring the picture mounted 12" above the wc low level cistern while having a pee.

Having finished, washed my hands and then had another look at the picture it was fixed with a piano hinge to the top, so I lifted it upward.

Underneath was a cavity and behold a 15w wylex cu, even better the picture had a car boot style spring arm that supported it staying fully open.

Great engineering, but a rubbish place to fit a cu. it was a converted understairs area, so better there than the very base of the understairs area where I assume the meter and head were.

Sponsored Links
Having finished, washed my hands and then had another look at the picture it was fixed with a piano hinge to the top, so I lifted it upward.

Would have been funny if a boxing glove had popped out and bapped you on the nose :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back