CU replacement with a cheeky rewire chucked in..

LABC have quoted £220 to include the testing by a contractor.. No mention of visit charges

Sponsored Links
LABC have quoted £220 to include the testing by a contractor.. No mention of visit charges

Sounds good :cool:
Get readin up on the regs, I'm sure most people here will be happy to advise.
If I were you, when you come to ask for advice, start a new topic ;)

Sponsored Links
Right then.
There was a problem.
Part P might have been dreamed up to improve things (then again it might not!)
Part P is law and must be followed (often it is not, like other laws).
If you want to abide by the law then you must follow it and preffferably abide by the "Wiring Regs" but you are not required to do so, you could follow the Regs/Standards of another EEC country or even any civillised country or, if you have the abiility to do so then make up your own standard.
I advise against all but following our Regs though.
BCOs are subject to Part P amongst other laws and do not have the powers to vary them (although they often act like they do).
Frankly, so far as the OP is concerned, consult a Registered DI and follow what they say. The short answer is that it makes sense.
Do not rewire your house then expect a DI to certify it (some might) but it is not allowed.
Read again the posts of Ban all Sheds, he is a minefield of info.

ban-all-sheds is right it is a one off charge and you have a very greedy LABC it did not cost me that for full rewire. Do read http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/Pp...gportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/BR_PDF_ADP_2006.pdf yourself it is in layman’s language. It does seem a little unfair but is seems if your able you must test and inspect first but if not they have to do it for free. I have looked on the local website and it does seem hard to work out which fee is charged for what but it seems either £159 or £58.75 for up to £1000 worth of work. It seems these charges are set the same for whole of the country but may be different for those living over the border in England. Seems ours set by Welsh assembly not individual councils. I looked at Wyre Borough Council and they say £130 (Domestic Plan) or £83.85 (Domestic inspection) and that was an easy web site! I found a PDF called Local Authority Building Control guide to fees for building control commencing 8th May 2007 it says how there is a two stage payment but NOT for Part P and at last a single charge of £125 including vat this was Maidstone council.
So it seems your £220 is OTT and I wonder if they are trying to charge you for the testing by a contractor? I have read and re-read the Part P document and although it states if the council bring in an outside contractor it is at councils expense it is a little vague as to if you need to test and inspect first and only if they don’t agree with your results do they need to do it or if as a DIY person you can just relay on them to do all testing and inspecting. Neither is it plain what happens if it is not up to standard can you call them 100 times to inspect and test until it passes or is there some limitation.
Which is why I normally get people to read it themselves rather than tell them what it says.
The LABC is suppose to be self funding but it seems it’s more like speed cameras and just a money making thing for the council.
Eric

Frankly, so far as the OP is concerned, consult a Registered DI and follow what they say.

.....or better still, do what BAS (and others) have done, read everything for yourself, learn it and then you can have your own informed opinion.

£220 OTT - try some outer London Borough councils - £350 - and they still dont know their EFLI from their IR

So it seems your £220 is OTT and I wonder if they are trying to charge you for the testing by a contractor?

If someones rewiring their house £220.00 is probably less than one days labour for a sparks so in reality it's still cost effective.

PS...can you break up your posts with a few returns because although the content is good it's very hard to read ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back