Replaced the Peak CU at my Dad's

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Here are some pictures of the old peak CU & of the new peak CU I replaced it with.

The Old peak CU was a 4 way metalclad MEM Memera with rewirable fuses, the circuits on the old cu were:

Cooker & DSO by cooker 30A

Sockets (Ring) 30A

Lights & Meter-cupboard Light 5A

Bathroom Heater Light & Doorbell 5A

The main reason for replacing the cu is that he wants to have an electric shower fitted soon.

The Old peak CU:

The Old cu removed:

The cooker, sockets & lights circuits are all run in metal conduits in the walls, which use the conduits as earth.

Fitting the new peak CU:

New peak CU wired up:

Labeling on the new peak CU:

Off peak CU:

Metering:

Meter Cupboard:

Sponsored Links
There's way too much copper showing on the connections to that second and fifth MCBs (cooker and lights circuits?)

Sponsored Links
There's way too much copper showing on the connections to that second and fifth MCBs (cooker and lights circuits?)

Agreed, it's not tidy, same with some of the neutrals. The termination picture must have been taken half way through because the cooker and shower are shown as labelled on the finished item, but no cables terminated on the posted picture.

I think we deserve another internal picture post 10 minutes of tidying the sloppy bits up :D

Have you installed the correct earth bonding ? The main earthing conductor from the earth terminal or earth rod ? And the main bonds to the water and gas and any other services in the building

I can't see any in the pictures

The CPC between the MET and the consumer unit looks undersized to me, it is generally 16mm² where 25mm² tails are used.
Also can't tell with the main protective bonding.

You also need to have some sort of labelling where a CPC is common to more than one circuit.

The CPC between the MET and the consumer unit looks undersized to me, it is generally 16mm² where 25mm² tails are used.
Also can't tell with the main protective bonding.

You also need to have some sort of labelling where a CPC is common to more than one circuit.

Yes looks very small to me hard to tell

I really can not see any bonding or main earth cables in the board.

The main earth cable is the green cable in the board, which comes from the MET screw on the meter board (under the meter).

The bonding cable goes to the MET screw on the meter board (under the meter), the bonding was fitted by the people who installed the storage heaters & Off Peak CU & cabling.

Agreed, it's not tidy, same with some of the neutrals. The termination picture must have been taken half way through because the cooker and shower are shown as labelled on the finished item, but no cables terminated on the posted picture.

I think we deserve another internal picture post 10 minutes of tidying the sloppy bits up :D

The shower cable has not yet been installed, I am installing it this Friday/Saturday.

I labelled up the MCB for it ready for when it was installed, as the circuit label is one continueas label.

The cooker cable is terminated in the picture, it is the 2nd MCB in on the 1st RCD.

I will take a better picture of the inside of the board Saturday when I have installed the shower circuit.

The main earth cable is the green cable in the board, which comes from the MET screw on the meter board (under the meter).

The bonding cable goes to the MET screw on the meter board (under the meter), the bonding was fitted by the people who installed the storage heaters & Off Peak CU & cabling.

Ok it's hard to tell from the pictures but as long as the main bonding cable is 16mm linked to the off peak and normal tariff boards both boards need the cable. You can link from one board to the other.

And as long as you have 10mm equapotental bonding to the water and gas and any other site services.

If all the wiring is run in metallic conduit then the lighting circuits do not require RCD protection, nothing wrong in them being RCDed cant have too much protection.
But you could have fitted say a 6 way main switch unit with MCBs for lighting and RCBOs for the shower and socket outlet circuits.
What where the test results like using the conduit as CPC ?

It looks like you've run a Cpc from the back of the conduit box but it seems rather small. How did you work out the size?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back