Cuprinol Ultimate Wood Protector over Wood Preserver

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, we've bought the neighbours shed off them as they're moving out tomorrow. Surprisingly easy to move with four of us and two long straps after removing one fence panel.

Anyway, they treated it about 12 months ago with Cuprinol Garden Wood Preserver (Golden Oak) which is Solvent based. At the weekend I went to a few DIY places and could only find Cuprinol's Ducksback and Ultimate Wood Protector products which are water based.

So I emailed Cuprinol to ask if I could use this water / wax based product over what's there, obviously I wouldn't want to buy a big tin of it only to find that it ran straight off or something. I got a response back from them today saying they had discontinued the solvent based product due to a change in legislation and they couldn't produce the same results using low solvent levels so went down the water based route, that's fine but it doesn't really answer my main question, can I use the water based over the previously applied solvent based?

Any thoughts?

I can still get the solvent based stuff online but if they're just running the stocks down and I can't buy it in a couple of years when it might need doing again, and I can only get water based stuff then which may or may not be suitable to go over the solvent product I could be a bit stuffed.

For reference we also have a new fence which needs treating so I was obviously planning to use whatever product I bought for the shed on that too.

Sponsored Links
If the existing stain/coating is well weathered then the new one should go on fine

You can get other brands of oil based wood preservers if that's what you're after

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back