Cure for Smelly Washing Machine

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All!

I've got a smelly washing machine / drain, in a flat, and it is getting me down! I've looked through some tips, and the mass concensus say about using white vinegar and baking soda. Just wondered if anyone has tried this before, and, with my machine being a side loader, do i just pour vinegar/soda into the tray and then set to 90c wash?

Hope this makes sense - Thanks!

Sponsored Links
heeelllooo djc

i would assume the idea is to pour it in and let it work
if you add water you will just flush it out
perhaps leave for maybe an hour
i dont know the definitive answer but hopefully
this will get the debate going :D :D :D :D

is your hose at the back above the line on the back of the machine
and any traps on your sink

do you use your machine more than once a week
and if its a hook over hose the smell could be coming
out between hose and drain pipe

big all

put washing soda in put on 40 degree wash (no clothes) and when not in use leave the door ajar

Thanks for all the comments and advice!

I do use a hook over hose, and am in the process of using some odour eater solution to try to eliminate this. I may need to get a cover for this pipe, but not sure what is out there.

I will give the baking soda a go on a 40degree wash, and see what happens - If all goes well, I will let you all know!

Thanks!

p.s - If anyone has any other ideas, I'll be more that happy!

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
After looking at quite a few posts on the smelly washing machine saga I put a cup full of concentrated bleach on the highest 90 degree's cycle and it worked, that was a couple of months back now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back