Currys PC world Insurance

It is really just an extended warranty - not an insurance policy, so it does actually mirror the manufacturer's warranty, just for longer. I'm not convinced about the mishap though. What you posted clearly says 'if your tv suffers a mishap, we'll fix it'. I'd be pursuing them on that.

I took them on a few years back over a super-dooper LG washing machine that had a drum with 'no bearing'. The sales bullsh1t made much of the fact that not having a bearing meant it was super quiet (which it was, until the bearing wore out) and the bearing couldn't wear out. The thing cost a fortune and, who'd have thought it, about 18 months later the bearing went. I remember the bloke giving me the old 'oh no. sorry but the warranty ran out 6 months ago'. I told him I wasn't interested in their voluntary warranty. I said, if you think I'm paying three times the going rate for a washing machine with a special 'no bearing' feature, only for the bearing to go on it in 18 moths you've got the wrong person. It took 12 months and court proceedings but I got my money back.

Sponsored Links
If you have a warranty which is still in force then that warranty is still valid. If they have changed their warranty terms since you took yours out yours still stands.
If they offered you some form of compensation to accept the new terms, and you accepted them, then the new warranty would be the valid one.
However, the document you have posted clearly shows that 'a mishap' is covered under the original warranty. If they say your 'accident' is not covered under their 'mishap' clause then ask them to put in writing the criteria of their definition of their mishap clause. If their definition is different to the generally accepted definition as defined in The English Oxford Dictionary, or the definition as accepted by an English Court of Law then their definition should be clearly stated in the T&C's
Stand your ground with this bunch of shysters. If they refuse to honour the warranty they are breaking the law under the Consumer Rights Act of 2015
Stay calm during any discussions with them but be firm. If they refuse to honour the warranty then ask them to put it in writing before you leave the store why they are refusing. Get the (full) names of those you speak to and make a note of the time, date and, if possible, as close a verbatim copy of what was said and by whom.

Have a read of this page:

My warranty provider won’t honour the warranty, what can I do? - Which?

Sponsored Links
I bought a fridge from there. It was just what we wanted, the right dimensions exactly and the price was OK.

But I discovered it had a design fault with wiring between the body of the fridge and the door.
It was repaired several times then they told me they would not come again to repair it. After a lot of messing around I negotiated to keep the broken fridge and have a very very large percentage of the purchase price refunded.
But they were shysters on the phone. Each time I had to ring a call centre and they gave me the "oh, it's not in warranty any more, it's more than 12 months old.

I just asked them why they were lying to me and mentioned the 2015 CRA.

It was like a magic key. Just how many customers are fobbed off with the 12 months bullcarp?

I have a Grundig Dishwasher that's still under warranty. 3 out of 5 years. Engineer come to fix it but can't get the parts. Said I could have a new one.
So got a new Neff coming tomorrow. Paid extra but done well so can't complain

I'm gonna put this here as it's useful info for those of us here who still have all our screws nice n tight . . . .

Dork was once quite senior in Dixons Stores Group (DSG) which is/was the parent Co' of Dixons, Currys, PC World etc. I was never actually on DSG's books, I was employed directly by Sir Stanley Kalms who I consider to be the greatest businessman this country has ever produced & I was probably the only living being that ever got away with calling him "Stan". There isn't a job title that fits what I did, but when pushed I answer 'senior projects manager'. This is where I made my first £million, I worked so hard for that man I very nearly died & all he ever did for me was put £money in my pocket.

I know a little bit about this & don't think you lot special 'cos most of this is copy/pasted from another place . . . .!

In my day it was called "Coverplan" & it was central to the whole business model. Internally & in very hushed tones, we used to call it the "idiot tax". This is briefly how it worked . . .

An electrical product has a reliabilty curve shaped like a big U on a line graph. There is a statistically high chance that it will fail early in life & then there's a statistically high chance it will fail towards the end of it's life. Here's the catch, we had the statistics that told us how long we could expect it to live. We only ever sold a "Coverplan" to cover the statistically most reliable time of the appliances life.

Yes, we paid out & YES a few folk got very good value for their £money, but statistically, most folk who bought a "Coverplan" may as well have placed the money on a 3 legged horse at 1000-1 in the 3.30 at Lingfield. You were mugged & you were taxed as an idiot. Some of you can subconsciously "know" that extended warranties aren't worth it & some of you will swear by them. Take it from me that they aren't worth the paper they were written on.

I could go a lot deeper into the economics of it & how DSG exploited the appliance manufacturers to comply & go along with the scam, but there's a few loose screws on here who feed off of negative turmoil. I was VERY much against extended warranties & my own personal battles against them very nearly cost me my life.

Fail to see where the goods come from having anything to do with it.
In most places paying out for long term cover makes no sense given the cost...

At richer sounds it's basically 10% of the purchase price (but sometimes free) for 6 years cover and if you don't claim you get that 10% back...

Thus it does pay to see where goods come from :)

In most places paying out for long term cover makes no sense given the cost...

At richer sounds it's basically 10% of the purchase price (but sometimes free) for 6 years cover and if you don't claim you get that 10% back...

Thus it does pay to see where goods come from :)

Would you have that opinion on let's say Dog insurance....... maybe putting the equivalent money away for vet bills?

Would you have that opinion on let's say Dog insurance....... maybe putting the equivalent money away for vet bills?
Personally I'd ban dogs (apart from working ones), but if people want to waste their money on their 'pets' then so be it!

Very quick summary of the law: Any fault identified within the first 6 months is deemed to be a fault present at manufacture and the burden is on the retailer to prove otherwise. After 6 months, its up to the consumer to prove. You have 6 years to bring a claim for defect. Purchase price can be taken into account when bringing a claim for quality. So an item with a fault after 1 year warranty:

- product fails after 3 years, but defect is present at manufacture (proven by consumer) - claim likely valid.
- expensive item fails after 18 month, with all sorts of claims about superior design for long life etc - claim likely valid.
- "warranty" protecting against "mishaps" but no definition of this/isn't - claim likely valid.

Value of compensation can take account:
- damage caused by failure
- benefit enjoyed while product worked.

Take it from me that they aren't worth the paper they were written on.
Interesting post. More or less confirms what I have thought for a long time. My rule is I don't buy extended warranties on anything except tumble driers. I've noticed over the years they are very unreliable things. My current one is about 5 years old and I've had an engineer out about 6 or 7 times, mainly for sensor problems. Interestingly, the last one - which was about 18 months ago - said the wrong bits had been fitted and he was going to sort it out. Looks like he did because this is the longest it's ever gone without breaking down. Beko BTW.

Dork was once quite senior in Dixons Stores Group (DSG) which is/was the parent Co' of Dixons, Currys, PC World etc. I was never actually on DSG's books, I was employed directly by Sir Stanley Kalms who I consider to be the greatest businessman this country has ever produced….

most folk who bought a "Coverplan" may as well have placed the money on a 3 legged horse at 1000-1 in the 3.30 at Lingfield. You were mugged & you were taxed as an idiot.

So basically, your business hero ran a company that treated its customers as idiots?

Sponsored Links
Back