Liability insurance

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I’m about to start work on my roof on my house and I’m worried a tile may break loose and accidentally damage next doors flat roof. Is there any kind of insurance I can take out in case I do?

cheers

Mike

Sponsored Links
You home insurance? Maybe lay some boards on it to protect it?

Home insurance won't normally cover. Additional Accidental damage insurance may help, but what you are doing is deliberate and has its own risks.
I recently employed builders to build a party wall in the loft. The neighbours wouldn't engage, so I had to protect myself if they claimed damage. The builders liability insurance wouldn't cover it, as it was reasonable for issues (such as cracking) to be caused by the build. In the end I had to get a product like:
https://www.protekselfbuild.co.uk/site-insurance/
They may be able to get you something suitable for your small job.

You home insurance?

As random grinch has posted,

Liability for damage to neighbour's property from falling roof tiles might be included in your home insurance. If it is then do NOT assume it will cover the damage caused by a the tile that is dislodged during building work

Sponsored Links
Will an insurance provider provide cover for a DIY project? I thought they would require a 'tradesman' to do the work.

Not that many people do, but you are supposed to inform your insurance company when any work is carried out on your property. In reality, if something was to fall and break your neighbours tile you'd just replace/repair it yourself. No insurance required. Where insurance comes in handy is if you somehow (hot work?) set fire to your roof and burn your neighbours house down with it. Or, if whatever falls lands on your neighbours head and kills him/her?

Back