Currys Warranty, what a joke

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anybody else had trouble trying to get help from currys when a product fails under there extended warranty,

my Sony telly failed on 2nd dec ,collected by the tech guys on 4th ,several calls and visits to local branch still no telly (26th) despite promises of a replacement under the conditions of the extended insurance .

Anybody know the name of a person at Currys who might care and a contact number

Sponsored Links
Email all the info you have posted to currys (contact us) on their website.They will get back in touch with you and offer you a 10% off voucher or a £20 voucher.

Refuse this in your reply and say you have done without your tv for however long it has been despite paying an extra premium. hold your guns and eventually they will send you a cheque for either the full amount of extra warrany or in my case £300 .

I bought a ps3 and wii from them totalling 590 the wii broke and was rendered useless over xmas last year so i ended up paying 290 for a ps3 and a replacement wii

my bargain of the year definitely

Extended warranty's are not usually worth the paper they are printed on.
"Which" magazine usually recommends to their readers to steer well clear of these.

extended warantees are a waste off money
often the the companys selling you them make more proffit from the warentee than the product

if you think off it a fridge [(£150]a freezer [£200]a tv [£450]a microwave [£100] a dvd player [£150]a washing machine [£350] a tumble dryer [£200]
if you have a typical 4 year extended warantee[3 actual years]
1 or 2 items may need say £50 worth off attention [100]but unlikly the average insurance is around 20 percent off the new cost if you take it as a loan it nearer to 30%
so in this example you have £1600 worth off goods the insurance is £320 or if you have on credit £430 for warentees with the actual cost over 7 years going to be maybe £200 for repairs
dont forget the warenties only cover 4 years

so if you buy the product put 10% on top into a repair kitty and after 7 years you have saved 65% off the insurance costs and you will still be in pocket unless you have benn very unlucky

Sponsored Links
anybody else had trouble trying to get help from currys when a product fails under there extended warranty,

Would not touch them with a barge pole,part of the DSG group ,pc world,dixons.

The tech guys are a joke,they diagnosed a fault on a 5 month old laptop over the phone and told me it was wear and tear.Luckily purchased the l/top with credit card and got Barcly card involved ,

Currys soon replaced the L/top then.

I agree that DSG are spawn of Satan..

Richer Sounds have an extended 5 (1+4) warranty that works out to 10% but I have never used then personally

If you are realllllllly unlucky you will buy a big brand name that makes a product that is exclusive to DSG- when it fails (in the first year) DSG will do usual and tell you to phone the manufacturer who will knowingly apologise and send you back to DSG.

Richer Sounds have an extended 5 (1+4) warranty that works out to 10% but I have never used then personally

Pretty good in my experience. I took it up on some equipment I bought in 1995.

The amplifier developed an irritating hum about 2 years in, so they replaced free of charge. Then at 2 years and 11 months in I used the guaranteed buy-back option and traded it in for a new amp with a decent discount for the old one. :D

Of course my last experience of that warranty was 12 years ago, YMMV ;)

Pretty good in my experience. I took it up on some equipment I bought in 1995.

The amplifier developed an irritating hum about 2 years in, so they replaced free of charge. Then at 2 years and 11 months in I used the guaranteed buy-back option and traded it in for a new amp with a decent discount for the old one. :D

Of course my last experience of that warranty was 12 years ago, YMMV ;)
You must be the exception to the rule, I have had very bad experiences with the curry store in regard to my gaurantee. :confused: .

DSG will do usual and tell you to phone the manufacturer who will knowingly apologise and send you back to DSG.

Do not fall for that one........YOUR CONTRACT IS WITH THE SELLER!.

Refuse politely and remind any retailer who tells you to contact the manu of this legality.

Standard cop out but persistence pays in the end. :D

You are correct, but the DSG customer services are often so poor that I would rather go straight to the manufacturer.

We bought a telly £700 from Currys 2 years ago and was persuaded to take the 'interest free plan' plus 3 year extended warranty which cost £4.75month.
Gets home sets it up, superb!
Reading the contract the following morning and I find;
A/ I didn't need the warrant for the first 12 months due to manufacturers warranty however if I refused to take it at start I could not take it out after 12 months. In effect I was paying for the first 12 months warranty.
B/ If I paid the outstanding balance after the 9 month interest free period I would have to pay an administration charge of £27.75.

Phoned up and cancelled the interest free agreement and then went down and paid the lot in cash, (£699.99) and was told everything cancelled including warranty.
Next month out comes the direct debit.
(hang on, I've cancelled and besides which it shouldn't come out till next July if it was still in force!)

Anyway, long story short, it took me over 12 months to get it sorted, a refund of the DD, my credit rating restored to its original excellent rating, (with a note attached explaining what happened), and vouchers for £40 as an apology. I gave the vouchers away as I wouldn't go near them again if you paid me. Alot more went on behind the scenes but its too long to relate.
My advice? Threaten THEM with court action and trading standards and the local paper. If they don't buckle then do it.

Hi Homes

Donkmeister is bigging up the Richer Sounds chain and not the DSG group.

wouldnt touch them with a barge pole. bunch of ankers

Tell them to shove the extended warranty where the sun don't shine.
On most major purchases you are covered for upto SIX years by law without having to pay extra.

Sale of Goods Act 1979. Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982. Sale and Supply of Goods Act 1994. The Sale and Supply of Goods to Consumers Regulations 2002.

Key Facts:

• Wherever goods are bought they must "conform to contract". This means they must be as described, fit for purpose and of satisfactory quality (i.e. not inherently faulty at the time of sale).

• Goods are of satisfactory quality if they reach the standard that a reasonable person would regard as satisfactory, taking into account the price and any description.

• Aspects of quality include fitness for purpose, freedom from minor defects, appearance and finish, durability and safety.

It is the seller, not the manufacturer, who is responsible if goods do not conform to contract.

• If goods do not conform to contract at the time of sale, purchasers can request their money back "within a reasonable time". (This is not defined and will depend on circumstances)

For up to six years after purchase (five years from discovery in Scotland) purchasers can demand damages (which a court would equate to the cost of a repair or replacement).

• A purchaser who is a consumer, i.e. is not buying in the course of a business, can alternatively request a repair or replacement.

• If repair and replacement are not possible or too costly, then the consumer can seek a partial refund, if they have had some benefit from the good, or a full refund if the fault/s have meant they have enjoyed no benefit

• In general, the onus is on all purchasers to prove the goods did not conform to contract (e.g. was inherently faulty) and should have reasonably lasted until this point in time (i.e. perishable goods do not last for six years).

• If a consumer chooses to request a repair or replacement, then for the first six months after purchase it will be for the retailer to prove the goods did conform to contract (e.g. were not inherently faulty)

• After six months and until the end of the six years, it is for the consumer to prove the lack of conformity.
[/i]

Sponsored Links
Back