Custom Desk - Hidden radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

Great to join the community. I am new, so please go easy on me :)

I am getting a custom made desk and have the radiator hidden underneath it, i understand that I will need to have ventilation for hot air to raise.

The question is, what wood should I go for? Ideally I want the desk to have a glossy white finish you see from ready made stuff ie. stuff you get from let's say ikea

My builder recommend using oak as it will need better wood to withstand the on and off HEAT. But If i do go for oak and stick a piece of "white plastic" on top - sorry don't know the technical terms. Then wouldn't it be a waste of money?

So if you guys could shed some light, then that would be great.....

Best Regards
Gary

Sponsored Links
I think if you go for any solid timber you will be courting trouble because of potential movement (caused by temperature and relative humidity fluctuations). For an application such as this I'd have said that a highly stable man made board such as MR-MDF, chipboard or marine grade plywood would be far better. High gloss melamine faced chipboard is an ex-stock product in a limited range of colours from firms such as Polyrey and matching ABS or PVC lipping can be obtained to finish the edges

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back