Custom Hidden desk

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thinking about doing my first DIY project.
I want to hide a floating desk behind a cupboard like in the picture.
i know how to build a carcass but this has no base, its just a u shape and the floor is clear - what do i need to factor in to build this?

Thank you

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-05-23 at 11.06.41.png
    Screenshot 2022-05-23 at 11.06.41.png
    1 MB · Views: 54
Sponsored Links
The one in the pic is not floating, it is supported by the sides of the cupboard plus probably a batten on the wall.

Floating shelves are weak and a poor design

ok thanks @foxhole @JohnD so is the stability of the whole thing from the desk being attached to the sides and the back?
As there is no base to it im wondering how to keep it stable

Sponsored Links
basically - to make that unit, you need a cupboard (or drawers) on each side. It's possible.
It may be easier to look in Ikea and buy some ready made units, many come in a range, intended to fit together.
You can do a lot of "hacks" to make a new design out of standard parts, and even buy a tall unit just to get the material from the sides to make a matching worktop.

If you want a true floating desk you may need several custom-made steel frames which are resin anchored to the wall (if masonry) - basically square C-shaped, where the upper arms support the worktop and the lower arms support the cupboard units. They could be configured with a gap between the top and the tops of the cabinets. We built a white, laminate-covered boardroom with such cabinets all round on three sides back in the 1980s. Without some form of (almost invisible) framing I think you will struggle to make this work well

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back