Customer service 2010

G

Goldspoon

Purchased a laptop from a large shed in the sales (name of store sounds like Indian dish in the plural).

Anyway the hard drive seems overly noisy to me and sort of ticks and crackles and, to be honest, annoys me and worries me. But, maybe I am worrying too much as it is background noise and audible only in peaceful room. But best to take it back to check it out.

Drive to store.

Store chap has a look.

"Can't hear a thing..." he says.

"That's because of the loud ambient noise in here," I say "And that musics pretty loud".

We agree to set it up in my van and he comes out for a listen.

"Yes I can hear it," he agrees. It's a Sata drive - they all crackle like that".

I tell him I'm surprised. I've had plenty of laptops before (well two) and they hummed and whirred but did not crackle.

After much discussion I tell him I'll go away and try to find out more.

I phone HP and the Asian lady on the phone is as much use as me phoning my Grandma. She does agree it should not crackle though. She asks me if I can replicate the noise myself... :-0 I try but fail miserably.

I pop in to Comet and the guy there from laptops says no way SATA drives should not crackle - hum and whir but not crackle.

I try to phone HP cust service, a level above the front line call centre staff, but they will not speak to me and I have to speak to the store.

I go back to the store.

"If the guy from Comet is who I think he is I know him and he failed his computer exams. I passed mine."

I reiterate that I have a problem and all I want is reassurance.

"Can we set another one up in a quiet space so we can both listen to it?"

"We only have the back rooms and you are not allowed in there."

"Why?"

"You might slip or injure yourself and we are not insured for that".

"Can you bring one to my van?"

"No staff to cover me sir."

"The van's 12 feet outside your door..."

"No can do..."

And so it goes on...

He then tells me to phone their repair company: "If they say it shouldn't crackle then I can okay a replacement."

I phone them. Very helpful chap says it should not crackle. I pass the phone to Jobsworth...

Jobsworth argues with the guy.

Jobsworth passes phone back and walks off.

Eventually I have to get their repair department to collect it later this week and ship to God Knows Where so they can have a listen.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
once you let them repair it you have problems, it could take ages. just say you want a replacement before things turn nasty

The 'crackling' you're hearing is the drive seeking. Some of them are quite noisy in that regard. If there were an electrical or mechanical fault causing actual crackling, the drive would not work.

I wouldnt expect a laptop drive's HDD to crackle as it seeks though, because there isnt a lot of material for it to resonate on - perhaps a slight bit of clicking over the sound of it spinning.

Imagine the HDD in your tower PC, it has loads of metal to give it a sounding board and magnify the sound of it seeking.

Though I have to say, this is the first PC I've had with a SATA drive, and its the loudest HDD I've had in my 12 years of PC ownership. I built it myself 2 years ago, so I'm not worried. Its also the loudest while slowing down - it takes a good 10 seconds to stop after the fans stop, you hear it wizz to a stop.

Don't know what your complaining about, clearly you've never had to deal with that big computer company who's name aptly rhymes with HELL! The only people you get to speak to is a call centre in india who's only english is what's written on the scrpit in front of them.

I wouldnt expect a laptop drive's HDD to crackle as it seeks though, because there isnt a lot of material for it to resonate on - perhaps a slight bit of clicking over the sound of it spinning.

Imagine the HDD in your tower PC, it has loads of metal to give it a sounding board and magnify the sound of it seeking.

Actually, more metal means less noise. 'crackle' is about the term I'd expect people to use for laptop seeking. 3.5" HDDs tend to click. 2.5" HDDs are quiet enough that it sounds more like a crackling over the rest of the drive noise (motor, spinning platters).

Though I have to say, this is the first PC I've had with a SATA drive, and its the loudest HDD I've had in my 12 years of PC ownership. I built it myself 2 years ago, so I'm not worried. Its also the loudest while slowing down - it takes a good 10 seconds to stop after the fans stop, you hear it wizz to a stop.

First 7200RPM drive? :p

Sponsored Links
Back