cut alarm cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all , I am a time served painter and decorator , and today before painting the skirtings on a hall stairs and landing I had to cut the carpet round the skirtings, there was no sign of wires , I started cutting and all of a sudden house alarm went off - underneath the underlay lies 2 cables running back to alarm box in airing cupboard , the cables have not been cut in half , i wound some tape round them , the alarm keypad has the green light on and the red tamper light on, I have tried pressing reset but cant get rid of the red light , is there anyway of doing this or do I need a engineer , someone said about turning off house power and taking battery out of alarm outside for about 1/2 hour and then putting battery back and turning power back on might rectify it
Could really do with some help on this, terrible price for the job and dont want to be paying out loads to get this rectified, try to do the customer a favour by getting all of the skirtings painting should have let them take all the carpet up now prior to painting

Sponsored Links
..................someone said about turning off house power and taking battery out of alarm outside for about 1/2 hour and then putting battery back and turning power back on might rectify it
If that works, let us all know please.

Idiot, how are the cables going to join themselves back together then? << Not directed at gac1967.

Hint is in my line two!!!

The cables are not cut in half , they are taped back up and the alarm does not sound now
Can I cut the wire and join them back up , will this put out the red tamper light or do I need an engineer
Thanks for any help

Depends on panel,what make and model is it ? and how many of the cores inside the cable did you cut ?

Sponsored Links
I dont live at the house just working there , just has a white box in airing cupboard with 2 screws and a green light and a pad downstairs and on the pad it says veritas
My stanley knife went through the carpet and underlay and sliced into both cables but dont want to move them cos the alarm always goes off
Any advice on how to do this would be so very much appreciated

Unless it's been programmed you should be ok to reset panel but you need to repair the cable first , get some one in to repair it unless you feel confident to do it yourself.

Do I need to take the battery out of the unit before I touch the cable ie to stop the alarm from sounding
What is the best way to repair the sliced cable
Many thanks for all your help

It sounds like you've severed the wires and the panel has detected it not working properly, I did the same with a door contact exept the nail went right through. You need to re connect the individual wires back (with the power off) and wrap each with electrical tape and then wrap the bunch together with electrical tape then turn power on and reset it should work.

Yes take the battery out of the panel, but if it's a new installation installed after 2005 ish the battery in the external alarm will go off, so take battery out and see if the outside one goes off and if it doesnt then you dont have to worry about the alarm blaring away. When you open the panel the alarm will go off so have someone type in the code into the panel after you open it and remove the battery.

When you say battery out of the panel do you mean the panel you type the 4 digit code into, or the box in the airing cupboard with all wires coming out of it, that has a green light and 2 screws on it
thanks for your help

There is no battery inside the one where you type the code in, but there will be one in the one where all the wires go with the two screws and green light. They usually always have a tamper on the cover so once you remove it don't get shocked by the sudden alarm again hehe just have someone ready by the keypad panel to silence it by typing in their code.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back